Newby Alpha 1 Outdrive Question

DSully

Cadet
Let me start by saying I am mechanically illiterate. If you have an answer for me please don't assume I know anything about the subject matter. Please respond as you would to a child, lol Thank you for your patience. I am retired on a limited income and have to try to fix things myself where possible.

I have a 1996 Crestliner Sportfish with a Mercruiser 3.0 and Alpha 1 out drive. I took the boat out Tues 3/5 and everything seemed to work great. Got it home and parked it in the garage and later noticed a 3 inch round spot of oil under my out drive. I crawled under and the leak seems to be coming from about a 1/4 inch hose that comes out thru the bellows area from the motor. The end of the hose has a plastic fitting that is unattached to anything. The oil is leaking from that fitting. I can't find a place that looks like the fitting should re attach. Any ideas? Also included some pics to help in my explanation.

IMG_5108.jpgIMG_5109.jpgIMG_5110.jpgIMG_5111.jpgIMG_5112.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newby Alpha 1 Outdrive Question

That hose is for the speedometer and shouldn't have any oil in it at all.

It's a twist lock fitting and I put an arrow on where it connects.

Untitled1.jpg

An additional image.

Speedo.jpg

Last edited:

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is your speedo hose. Not sure where the oil came from though. Are you sure its oil and not nasty, moldy water?

agallant80

Commander

I thought it was the hose where the lube goes.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

pictures are pretty blurry but it appears like the oil in question may have a greenish tint, correct?

if so, it is gear lube and i would be suspect of the shift shaft seal leaking

also, it appers there is oil/lube coating the bell housing where the exhaust passes, maybe the upper driveshaft seal is leaking too

best bet is to verify what the oil/lube substance is, if gear lube then remove drive, drain lube and pressure test