Screw-in Snap Fasteners

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a boat with new set of carpets, but they had never been fitted.
The carpet comes with 3/8" stainless snap fasteners ... so I need to buy screw-in 3/8" fasteners.
These are sold with 3/8" long screw or some sites have 5/8" or even 3/4" screw

Is there a recommended length screw for screwing to cockpit floor of all fibreglass boat.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
re: Screw-in Snap Fasteners

Depends on how thick the floor is. As a rule I don't like going all the way through wood / fiberglass with a screw. Especially fiberglass as it promotes cracking.

I guess then that means a 3/8" screw is the answer

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Screw-in Snap Fasteners

Your floor (deck) should be considerably thicker than that.

In that case I'm back to same Q ... do I use 3/8" or 5/8" without drilling a hole through I can't be sure how thick the floor is in any place.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Your floor should be cored with plywood or balsa. The longer screw shouldn't penetrate the bottom. Be sure to use a good sealant under them, or better yet predrill a larger hole, fill with epoxy and then screw into the hardened epoxy.

Thalasso

Commander

Why not just lay them down and be done with it. There is really no need to snap carpet down

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Why not just lay them down and be done with it. There is really no need to snap carpet down

I suspect he does not own a 288 Vista like you, if it's a bowrider or similar runabout, the carpets MUST be snapped or secured in some manner , or they WILL blow right out of the boat.
That is why he should not just lay them down and be done with it. Carpet is expensive to most of us.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer

I suspect he does not own a 288 Vista like you, if it's a bowrider or similar runabout,>>>

It's a Monterey Bowrider - so has to be fixed down.

Plan was to pilot hole to 9/64", slightly csk the surface to avoid cracking gelcoat.
The fix each one with marine silicone.

The Q still stands though .. does the 3/8" length screw seem long enough ?

I can buy with 3.8" long screws or 5/8" long.

Thalasso

Commander

It's a Monterey Bowrider - so has to be fixed down.

Plan was to pilot hole to 9/64", slightly csk the surface to avoid cracking gelcoat.
The fix each one with marine silicone.

The Q still stands though .. does the 3/8" length screw seem long enough ?

3/8ths with a dab of 4200

I can buy with 3.8" long screws or 5/8" long.

3/8ths with a dab of 4200

Thalasso

Commander

I suspect he does not own a 288 Vista like you, if it's a bowrider or similar runabout, the carpets MUST be snapped or secured in some manner , or they WILL blow right out of the boat.
That is why he should not just lay them down and be done with it. Carpet is expensive to most of us.

I didn't know what he had. Didn't think of a bow rider needing to be snapped down. Heck even some cruisers (day cruisers) are snapped down

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My first fiberglass boat had a stepped hull with a hard chine and the plywood deck in the boat didn't start until about 8" in from the sides. So, if I had wanted to drill a hole close to the gunnel it would have gone right thru the bottom of the boat.

Better be sure where the stringers and deck really start!

NYBo

Admiral

Industrial-strength Velcro.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I went thru this process in reverse when I removed the snap-in carpet from my boat to put in SeaDek. The deck-side fastener screws were very short; just enough to get thru the fiberglass skin and a few threads into the core. I would say they were 3/8" from memory. I removed them and filled the holes with 4200.

chamfer the holes you drill slightly, or risk cracking the gel.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

After you drill the hole, use a small countersink to keep the gel coat from cracking when you install the screw.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

3/8" should be fine. I agree with the 4200 or even 5200.

Personally I would try to find another way to secure it. Like NYBo suggested velcro might not be a bad idea.

YD.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I tried velcro in our Sea Ray. It works great-- for a few days. The side you stick to the boat just won't stay stuck. I tried several 'readily available' variations, and none would stay stuck. Just walking on the carpet makes it want to move around, and the adhesive won't take the stress.

You CAN buy velcro that you can screw down. ;)

That said, our Chap has snap in carpet, I love the stuff. But my favorite boat carpet, was the heavy-rubber backed stuff that came in our Sun Runner. It was heavy enough that it would be safe in a bowrider, and the rubber kept it from moving around, it stayed put nicely. Guess it's costlier to make than a snap-in rug, don't see carpet like that much these days.

And speaking of screws and our Sun Runner, it had a bunch of cover snaps with extra-large holes leaving the snaps just 'floating'. Rather than try to fix then re-drill the holes, I just epoxied the loose snaps in. 2 seasons of use and not one of those came loose. Just a thought...

Attachments

• DSC07237.jpg
    DSC07237.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06002.jpg
    DSC06002.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used 3/8 inch on mine no problems, they hold fine in solid glass flooring. Tried a couple of 5/8 and they require a good size pilot hole to prevent binding up and seemed like an overkill to hold carpet down.

Thalasso

Commander

The way to drill the hole so you don't chip the gelcoat is run the drill bit in reverse first then drill the hole