Water in oil

360ssoto

Cadet
3.0 omc cobra gm engine. So I found there is water in my oil. Took the engine apart and could not find a crack in the block anywhere. The exhaust manifold had some water mixture( don't know if it was fuel or oil ) in it and the gaskets looked really old at the elbow and block, but had no cracks in it. A couple weeks ago I took the outdrive off and used the same gaskets it had on it when I put it all back together. I am wondering if water could somehow get into the oil from the outdrive or if I have a bad gasket somewhere?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Water in oil

put everything back together and pressure test the cooling system like this.

inlinecrackedblocktest_zpsd30321b6.jpg

360ssoto

Cadet

put everything back together and pressure test the cooling system like this.

inlinecrackedblocktest_zpsd30321b6.jpg

Well as I'm putting parts back on, I noticed I dont have whats called an "Exhaust seal" on the exhaust leading to the outdrive. Its a little flap that opens when exhaust is coming out. Will that cause any water to come in the boat?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The drive isn't the problem.
I'd bet the manifold/riser?
Probably original?? Pics?
How does it handle/perform with the drive?
The gearing is way off for that motor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Take your riser off and look to see if you have any rust streaks inside the exhaust passage. You need to always replace that gasket when you pull the riser.

If you have water in the oil from a leaking riser/manifold connection, the amount of water in the oil will be only enough to make it milky as the water has to go through the rings and into the crankcase and there won't be a ton of water as this will only happen after you turn the motor off.

If you have enough water to raise the level of the oil, its likely coming trough a water passage crack. Impossible to visually check for that possibility. Only way is to do a pressure test.