Pretty confused... Little help plz

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone!

I understand sealing wood with epoxy for panels and bench cushions... But for this Im a little confused on. I am re-building a new bench structure for my big bench seat and backing. I do want the structure to have a glossy white look but also want it to protected from the elements. I will be using Stainless L brackets to keep the structure together and L brackets to attach it to the floor and seal the screws with 5200.

Should I still epoxy or not?
Paint over it with glossy white?
What paint should i use?

2012-10-04_18-55-02_76.jpgIMAG0110.jpg

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pretty confused... Little help plz

The original doesn't appear to be epoxy sealed. And you're replacing it. A few extra dollars and an hour of your time will produce a replacement far more permanent than what the original manufacturer produced.

Epoxy resin covered by paint, or some good epoxy primer and paint won't make a huge difference in the protection, but using epoxy or polyurethane paints will be better than the light primer coat they used at the factory.

...and, you may get some gelcoat proponents weighing in as well.

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the old structure was just painted and thats it. The wood isnt rotted either... but its got the old looking look... if that makes sense. So if I just use a epoxy primer and then an epoxy paint, that should do the job then?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Two coats of thinned epoxy would be very sufficient to seal the wood from the elements. Fill and fair with marine and epoxy compatible products . Then, I would apply two coats of Interlux epoxy primer PrimeKote or follow the applications instructions on the can for the suffecient number of coats. For top coat, I would use Perfection with Roll and Tip method. Interlux products are expensive but they are worth every penny IMHO. Best of luck

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy for your seats is not needed IMHO. A couple of coats of Marine Varnish and then2-3 coats of Rustoleum Pro Oil Based Paint and they'll last for a very long time given proper care and maintenance. I would thin the first coat of Marine varnish with 20% Mineral Spirits to allow it to soak into the wood really well and then follow with two coats of full strength. Again just my 2? worth.