throttle linkage

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Almost done getting her back together! It's a 1982 Evinrude 140. I put the intake/carbs back on today and noticed that when I operated them manually that the lever that changes the timing advances when opening the throttle but doesn't go back when you let off of it. I took apart the mechanism and cleaned all the old grease and dirt out then greased it and put it back together. It moves easier now but the timing linkage still stays in place.

Here's where the lever stays after opening and closing the throttle.
015ry.jpg

I tried spraying some lube on it but that didn't help either. Should there be a return spring on the mechanism under the flywheel? I looked in the service manual but couldn't find anything about it. Thanks for any help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: throttle linkage

You problem is most likely underneath the flywheel with the timer base hanging up from having old hard lube in it.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will it be an issue once the controls are hooked up? It moves pretty easily but doesn't return all the way back on it's own.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I figured but had to ask lol. I want to get everything (hopefully) 100% while it's in the garage on an engine stand :).

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took it apart tonight and got it perfectly clean then put some grease on it and put back together. The timer base moves a little easier but still doesn't return all the way back on it's own. I wonder if something else is going on. I did notice that the timing moves up to the stop when the throttle lever is moved before the butterflies even begin to open on the carbs. Is that normal or could things just be out of adjustment? In the pic above the butterflies on the carbs are completely closed. They open from that point on.