Oil injection question?

ritewing

Cadet
This is a '96 40hp ELPTO merc outboard, 4 cyl....I pulled the hose off the oil pump where it comes out to mix with the gas, and turned the motor over several times ( with oil in cylinders and plug wires removed) it is not pumping any oil out. I am not familiar with these oil injected 2 strokes. Just looking for a little schooling so as to troubleshoot. This motor has been sitting for several years uncovered. The motor will fire off and run, just don't want to run long till I am sure it is getting oil mixed properly. The oil outlet has a check valve inline , but it seems to be working as it should. Am I missing something? Does the oil pump need to be primed or what? Could it be water or air trapped in pump? If so, what is the remedy?
Thanks for any knowledge on this as it is puzzling me.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil injection question?

I belive that the pump has a bleed screw on it to get any air, that could be traped in the pump out of the system. When you remove the input hose from the tank you should get a flow with the cap off of the oil tank. Being the motor has set for some time you should drain the oil from the tank and replace it with new because oil dose have a shelf life and will not perform as it should if it is to old. The fowlling link http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manuals/30jet-40_4cyl.html#/526 should give you the info for your oil pump
JMO
Oldman570

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

FWIW, anything I've ever owned that was oil injected, got promptly blocked off (oil input into pump disconnected and pump outputs plugged) and ran on mixed gas. Way to many horror stories of debris blocking the oil lines, for my comfort level. That may be a large task on an O/B though, I'm not sure.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I also have seen troubles with the oil injected motors and have switched them to run mixed fuel. Easy to do and can be undone for sale of the motor at a later date. All one has to do is cut the hose from the oil tank to the oil pump and place a barbed T fitting in the hose and remove the oil hose from the fuel pump and put it to the T instaled in the other hose. Plug the fitting on the fuel pump and run 50/1 fuel. Keep oil level in the tank and the job is done. This way the oil is being pumped back to the oil tank supply hose, and if the pump dose go bad, you will not burn up the motor. Just move the plug from the fuel pump and place on the T and replace the oil pump outlet hose back on the fuel pump and it is back to the way it was built. Always check the oil pump output before running to make sure that the pump is still working when doing so. JMO
Oldman570