Stringers question. gap between the haul and stringers?

ray_m

Cadet
I pulled my floor up last week and I got a chance to look at the stringers today. I noticed when the last owner replaced the stringers he laid down a few feet of plywood (from side to side for storage) then a foot gap, then another sheet (for more storage), another gap then of another small sheet, then after that the stringers are glassed right to the haul.

It dosent look like the stringers were ever attached directly to the haul, it almost *looks* like its supposed to be this way, although, I could be wrong and this could be the way it was from the factory. Im replacing the transom so the stringers have to come out anyways. I would just like to replace them as close to factory as I can.

The boat is a 83 Campion Alert 180 hard top.
420322_10151360466275107_573486774_n.jpg

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stringers question. gap between the haul and stringers?

I believe by "haul" that you mean hull. Common wisdom is that there should always be a small gap between the hull and stringer. That is so the forces are transmitted though the fiberglass that connects or "tabs" the stringer to the hull. If there is no gap, that could lead to "hard spots" where the stringer can damage and eventually punch a hole in the hull.

Decker83

Commander

Welcome to i-boats ray_m..
My 1983 Deck Boat had a 1/4" gap between the hull and stringer. Auger01 is correct in his answer..
Most of the gent's her use the PB (peanut butter) between the stringers and hull.. Some use PL glue, but there has been alot of
talk about the side effects of the PL..
Put up some pics of what you are doing so the experts can see what you see and give more information..

ray_m

Cadet

Eh, Thanks for the FAST reply! When I replace the stringers I will keep this same set up then.

Thanks again!

ray_m

Cadet

here it is looking at the transomfrom the looking at the stringer from the inside looking out. It's more or less like this the whole way up. around 3' of plywood then about a 1' gap.
20130306_162939.jpg
ouside looking in
20130306_163006.jpg
why im replacing everything....
20130306_163053.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

My F-242 has/had about 1/2" air gap between stringer and hull. According to some manufacturer information that I came across, this was done to absorb impact better and to avoid "contact distortion" in the mold. For a restorer, there would not be the contact distortion issue.

ray_m

Cadet

so it dosent really matter either way I go then. I want to be able to keep the storage this set up provides. I'll just copy whats there.

thanks for the help.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

so it dosent really matter either way I go then. I want to be able to keep the storage this set up provides. I'll just copy whats there.

thanks for the help.

Actually it does matter. You dont want the stringers to contact the hull. You dont need 1/4" gap .. just enough to lift it off the hull. ( I use tongue depressors ).

Filling the gap with a hard filler defeats this as the filler is just as hard as the wood.

Even the use of fillets sometimes is not needed.

Using PL or 5200 is a complete waste of time and money IMHO. It does nothing structurally.

YD.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Actually it does matter. You dont want the stringers to contact the hull. You dont need 1/4" gap .. just enough to lift it off the hull. ( I use tongue depressors ).

Filling the gap with a hard filler defeats this as the filler is just as hard as the wood.

Even the use of fillets sometimes is not needed.

Using PL or 5200 is a complete waste of time and money IMHO. It does nothing structurally.

YD.

YD PB would be considered a Hard filler wouldn't it? So do you just leave the air gap and ab in the stringers remove the tongue depressors and then completely glass them in?

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm wanting more information on this myself. Seems it would be difficult to glass without a fillet?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

YD PB would be considered a Hard filler wouldn't it? So do you just leave the air gap and tab in the stringers remove the tongue depressors and then completely glass them in?

First off .. I really dont like the term PB .. its just a filler and I dont know why the term "PB" got so familiar here in Iboats. Yes the PB would be considered a Hard filler .. thats why I just said it would defeat the purpose of not having a hard point.

I leave the depressors in there and glass over when tabbing.

I'm wanting more information on this myself. Seems it would be difficult to glass without a fillet?

It depends on how your glassing..

Are you lamming up dry on your stringers or bulks ? .. or are you wetting out your glass on some cardboard and then transferring it to the job ?

Regardless .. its only a 1/8" gap .. you can be assured that your stringers or bulks will not be affected without a fillet.

You want the wood to transfer the energy to the hull.

If your tabbing fails then your PL or PB or whatever you put on the underside of your stringers for fillets will not help whatsoever.

YD.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have some concerns about a hard fill between the stringer and hull due to it creating a hard spot. but equally, there is a concern about a gap as it creates a channel for water/moisture to travel along the stringer, etc.

something that provides impact absorbtion and is water impervious would seem to be best :noidea:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What water is going to be trapped in the stringer glassin ?

Your boat should be like a bathtub .. water goes where you want it. If water goes in your stringer tabs then your boned no matter what you do.

Seal up them stringers and bulks and you will not have this problem.

YD.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I will be installing the wood in the boat, then resin coating the wood, letting it tack, then doing my lams with csm and 1708.