Early 70's, I think.

Jeep Man

Commander
How often have I seen the question and thought, Why don't they just google it? But here I am. A boat mysteriously followed me home on the weekend. At least that what I told the admiral. It has a Merc 402 manufactured by Mercury Canada. I cannot trace the serial number on any site I've looked at. S/N is 7006961 Blue stripe with Thunderbolt ignition. I have a newer Merc 4 stroke with tilt/trim and any older motors I've had has been Johnnyrudes. Where is the manual tilt release on this motor?

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Early 70's, I think.

LOL How did the "follow me home" story work with the wife? Any 12-gauges involved?? :violin::violin:

This is important intel, because I'm running low in my own excuse bank!

MERCURY OUTBOARD MODEL YEAR GUIDE 30 - 40 HP (2-CYL) -- Mastertech Marine
Looks like a '73 to me!

Hint:
google search string was "canadian merc serial numbers", third link. :D

Tilt release? Unless it's in the reverse locked position there shouldn't be any?

Jeep Man

Commander

Thanks Yesterday. Great info. The story didn't go as I had hoped. For some unexplainable reason, she's questioning my motives. Who knew!!!

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're quite welcome and.. yeah I may have run into that myself once or twice! It's addicting!

BTW I happen to have a fair bit of service info for that era motor (and growing lately). I have a 402 in the garage which will be my next project!! If you need any documentation feel free to PM me.

Jeep Man

Commander

You're quite welcome and.. yeah I may have run into that myself once or twice! It's addicting!

BTW I happen to have a fair bit of service info for that era motor (and growing lately). I have a 402 in the garage which will be my next project!! If you need any documentation feel free to PM me.

Will do, thanks.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This past weekend I picked up a 1974 402. I too was going to be asking about the tilt release.