74 Chrysler 45hp been sitting 2yrs

docyg2000

Seaman
Hello,
My boat has been sitting for two years it ran well before sitting up. Before taking it to the shop for maintenance what would you suggest i do at home? Any info would be helpful.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 74 Chrysler 45hp been sitting 2yrs

1. Did you run the eng dry of fuel or leave treated fuel in the eng? Two yrs is not long with proper care.

2. If the eng was run dry of fuel or left with treated fuel 2 years you might not have a fuel issue.

3. If it ran good before sitting 2 yrs, IMO it should start and run now but will need yearly minor maintenance
checks and any needed replacements.

4. I would say connect a hot Batt, use fresh fuel, drop it in a deep barrel try it and work from there.

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine normally sits all winter, I just always add a fresh mixed six gallons to the tank and maybe a container of Heet and she fires right up. If ur worried about old fuel ide say drain the tanks, line, and fuel bowls on your carb.

docyg2000

Seaman

No I did not run the engine dry of fuel but I did use stabil treatment. Yes the first thing would be to try fresh fuel and go from there. Thanx

1. Did you run the eng dry of fuel or leave treated fuel in the eng? Two yrs is not long with proper care.

2. If the eng was run dry of fuel or left with treated fuel 2 years you might not have a fuel issue.

3. If it ran good before sitting 2 yrs, IMO it should start and run now but will need yearly minor maintenance
checks and any needed replacements.

4. I would say connect a hot Batt, use fresh fuel, drop it in a deep barrel try it and work from there.