Sport Jet 175 engine problem

johnmich

Recruit
I have a problem with my 1998 Sea Rayder.

The boat used to go 50mph and now struggles to get to 30. I took it to a mechanic who adjusted the timing and installed new plugs but it did not help. I checked the spark while cranking and I get intermittent spark at every cylinder. None of the plugs spark at every revolution, some only spark occasionally. Always in an irregular pattern. I put in one new switchbox last summer and it was never the same after that.

Should I see a good spark while cranking? Is this a bad Trigger? Stator? There are so many expensive parts on this motor I don't want to replace them all if I don't have to.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Sport Jet 175 engine problem

Intermittant spark while cranking could be slow cranking speed, broken trigger wires (doubt this one) or failing switchbox(es).

Because there is NO RETURN on spendy electrical parts you need to PROVE the fault before even thinking about ordering anything.

Make sure the battery is fully charged, all battery cable connections are clean, bright and tight, BOTH ends, including the short cable to the stater.

Download and read the CDI Ignition Troubleshooting Guide

CDI Electronics Practical Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting

Use a DVA Meter or a DVA Adaptor and any volt/ohm meter and test each stator, trigger, and coil, following the detailed instructions in the CDI Guide.

When you changed the switchbox last year did you change BOTH of them?

Switchboxes are recommended be replaced in PAIRS unless both boxes are CDI units. If they were original factory units you should have changed both.