Will only start if the top 2 spark plugs are removed

jerseyboy1983

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1987 evinrude 175 crossflow and i have been having trouble with it from the min i got it. I can only get it started if the top 2 spark plugs are removed. Other than that, it will not spin fast enough to start it or if it does spin the motor fast, it wont start. What the hell is going on? Please help befor I sink the Boat. lol

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will only start if the top 2 spark plugs are removed

The ignition on that model (and thousands of others) is self contained, meaning that it does not require battery voltage in order to be engaged. The voltage/power is supplied by the stator under the flywheel (round ring) BUT the engine must crank over at least 300 rpms in order for that stator to provide that power to the powerpack's capacitor.

Bottom line is that you must find and correct the reason for the slow cranking (electric starter) problem. Remove, clean and reinstall all riring/cables associated with the electric starter system.... this includes the actual battery terminals, solenoid connections, ground at the powerhead, etc, and be sure to clean not only the wire and cable terminal ends biut also the components they attach to. Tighten the connections with either a wrench or pliers... not your fingers if wing nuts are encountered.

The battery must be in tip top condition as must the battery cables. You can test the electric starter itself by simply running good known jumper cables directly to the starter.

jerseyboy1983

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I will do all of that today hopefuly. So to test the starter, hook cables to a good battery and jump it directly to the starter? And if it turns slow its a bad starter? Is 800 Cold cranking amps enough for my motor?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I will do all of that today hopefuly. So to test the starter, hook cables to a good battery and jump it directly to the starter? And if it turns slow its a bad starter? Is 800 Cold cranking amps enough for my motor?

Those cranking amperes are good.

Yes, if you have a good tip top battery and known good jumper cables connected to the starter... and the engine cranks slowly, it's time to dismantle and inspect that starter.

It would be a good idea to visually inspect that stator also. If it's cracked and/or leaking a sticky substance down upon the powerhead area, that would result in a voltage drop to the powerpack regardless of the cranking rpms.

jerseyboy1983

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i know its not the stator because I just changed it last week. So im guessing it is the starter. Could it al be because it is out of time and the carbs are not sinked up? I cleaned the carbs last week and when i bought the motor it sisnt have the rod that conects the timmer base to the throttle bar thing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Better get that rod for the timer base before you do anything else.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Agree. Without the timer base arm, the timing could be advanced too far-depending on where the timer base is resting in it's normal movement range. When that happens it could get hard to start-as if it has too much compression.

jerseyboy1983

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have the Timer base arm or Rod and it is hooked up. But I dont know where it is supose to be set to because if i use the scre to adjust it, it also moves the carbs open or closed.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Is the screw you are referring to the big idle screw on the spark advance lever?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the battery cables for not being corroeded on the inside. Have you done any voltage drops on the starter system ??