My &0s Tilt Trim

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
cvarwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpWPXUmQ.jpg

This is mt tilt trim I need to know how to get the oil out for a change type of oil to use its a mid 70s 70HP

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: My &0s Tilt Trim

More pics??
Possibly loosen one or more lines and cycle the trim up and down.
If the oil is red then it's tranny fluid or trim/tilt fluid.
Brown it's probably 30wt.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Damn another over cropped pic, Ill sort this one out too lol

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Why do you want to change the oil type? True, some oils do destroy the seals in a shorter period than others but they all can last 20 years.

NOW--If the trim is not working and you need to repair it, sure, change the oil while you are at it, otherwise--leave it alone.

To completely change the oil, you need to remove all four lines from the pump and cycle the engine up and down to its full travel a couple of times to purge the cylinders. Then you need to suck the reservoir dry through the fill hole--not easy, or run the pump and blow the oil out of the reservoir, or drop the pump body and drain the reservoir.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking just drop a line and cycle the pump while adding new oil and flush it that way, I most likely have two types of oil as I added hydraulic oil same stuff I use in my Cat Loader, the original stuff I couldnt see as the pump was near dry so who knows whats in it, until I have another sea run I cant tell if my trims now going to work while running as it wasnt previous trip, remembering the stern clamps were loose and the engine was nearly half inch off the transom, since its been tightened it may work I hope and pray to jesus it will.

RRitt

Captain

if it ain't broke then don't mess with it. Your tilt and shock rams are not rebuildable without new caps. the rubber still looks okay from pictures. it's already overdue to break so don't give it any excuses.

unless ... there is milky foam from water intrusion. if your oil is fuull of water foam then you need to remove the water before your tilt piston rusts out.
1) fully raise engine and block into place.
2) Remove pump such that you have two lower lines on boat and the pump sitting on your tool bench along with two upper lines.
3) Arrange bucket to capture squirting oil and get a friend to help you lower engine, this will empty the rams.
4) Have your friend help you lift engine back up and block into place.
5) reattach everything and fill system as normal.
Of course it is all wasted effort if you don't find how the water got in.