Duty / Tax / Processing

volundur

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there!

Last night I spent about 2-3 hours figuring out part numbers and finding stuff I need for an chrysler outboard restoration me and my friend are doing.

I really like your website and prices are decent and since you specifically welcome international buyers I thought I was golden doing buisness here. I also like to spend money at places I like, and since this forum has been most helpful to me over the last year I really want to buy parts here.
Well - turns out that on my 100$ish parts cart I have to pay another 100$ for something called DUTY / TAX / PROCESSING. - to be hones I dont even know what you are meaning by this, and if it is about checking the marks on the customs slip I'd say you are overcharging heavily.
I decided to use a forwarding service this time (called shopusa.is) to ship the package to Iceland. This benefits me in many ways- I get a decent tracking code, Icelandic conatacts to ask about the shipment, all paperwork done by icelandic customs, insurance and free shipment back to USA if I want to return anything.

Tonight I got an email from your partner at BONGO.

Dear Valued Customer,

This e-mail is to confirm that your recent purchase with iboats has been cancelled.
For your reference, here is a summary of your order:
Bongo Order number: 52120
Item quantity: Item Description: Price per item:
1 110819 29.69
1 109570 3.59
1 110528 36.89
1 110463 8.09
1 112435 14.39
1 175365 5.86

Subtotal: 98.51
Shipping: 15.49
Duty/Tax/ Processing: 2.17 (this would have been 100$ if I shipped directly to ICELAND)
Order Total: 116.17

Unfortunately Bongo does not ship to forwarders. You can replace this order with your ship to as your international address. At this time your order has been cancelled and fully refunded. Please expect the credit to show to your card in 1-4 business days.

If you have any further inquiries or concerns, please contact Support@BongoUS.com. Thank you.

I hope this is some kind of mistake, but if the prices double, simply by exporting the items I think you might consider removing the banner about international shoppers.

international_banner.gif

All the best and thanks for good information on the forums.

volundur

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Duty / Tax / Processing

I really hope this is some sort of glitch, but maybe you can tell I'm a bit pissed off spending the time on it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This is not a website issue. You need to contact customer service here Contact Us - iboats

It is clear that the shipping company states "Unfortunately Bongo does not ship to forwarders."

Perhaps contacting customer service will resolve your issue.

iboats DOES NOT CHARGE OR COLLECT Duty. That is totally an issue of importing and exporting fees by the government. iboats has NO CONTROL on fees.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there, I'm sure you will hear from iboats soon. They monitor this forum, but not 24/7.

I do know iboats just started using Bongo a few days ago, and there might be a couple of bugs to work out, and quite sure you will be happy with the outcome.

volundur

Seaman Apprentice

Ah, I'm sorry about posting in a wrong forum, I thought maybe if I had an issue with the website I'd go here, hehe.

It's good to know that they just started using Bongo, this is the kind of info that really helps out : )

Thank you.

Don S

You are in the right forum, if customer service doesn't work.

But customer service should be the first place you check, the forums are the slowest and last place you should go to resolve a problem.

volundur

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for telling me, I'm going to ask them - Feel free to moderate this out while I'm at it : )

Don S

It's not a problem, give them a call.

BradC-iboats

Chief Petty Officer

volundur - Thank you for your feedback on our international shipping partner, Bongo. We want to do whatever we can to help you out, so please give us a call at 001-801-571-0071 (dial option 4).

volundur

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you BradC - I know it might be a hassle, but could we try to work it out online? I'm just finishing work now - but its still midnight out here on the arctic : ) - At least I say thank you so much for your positive feedback, and wish you a good day (i'm off to bed) :)

V?lundur

volundur

Seaman Apprentice

Turns out (good morning) that I simply didn't recognize the quality of your service! - the 100$ for dut / tax / processing is ment for paying for the import. This is the first time in my 10 years of buying online that I see this. My humblest apologies for being pissed off and thank you so very much for your responses and help.

aspeck

Staff member

Another happy and satisfied customer! Yeah!