its cranks but no spark
and looking for ideas
would it be stator , voltage reg.,etc
do not have a book but going to
look for one

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1984 merc no spark

If it is equipted with a man overboard switch it could have gone bad or it is in the wrong position. If it is OK then you will need to test the stator coils and switchbox to find out if one of them is bad. There should be a black wire with yellow strip on the switchbox that you can disconect and try to see if this will get your spark back. If the motor starts then you have that wire going to ground and will have to find out just where it is. That wire should run to the ing. switch and the kill switch. JMO
Oldman570

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

There is a minimum cranking speed, poor contacts anywhere between the battery and starter, low battery can also cause a no spark condition.

Clean all battery cable connections and make SURE the battery is charged and it cranks over well.

jeff2c

Recruit

There is a minimum cranking speed, poor contacts anywhere between the battery and starter, low battery can also cause a no spark condition.

Clean all battery cable connections and make SURE the battery is charged and it cranks over well.

I just went through my 1986 v175 for the first time (No spark on 3 cylinders). CDI electronics has exceptional step by step troubleshooting guides that are in plain English. Believe me, you can follow their guides and find the problem. They also have excellent phone support. I am not anyway associated with CDI other than a believer in their parts and service. Go to cdielectronics.com and click on their support link at the top. Then click on their CDI troubleshooting guide. If you want to do a thorough job you will need to get a DVA adapter for a multimeter. I bought one off ebay from patriot-electronics for $35. I positively confirmed a bad switch box and followed their test procedures to verify my Stator, Trigger, Rectifier, Regulator, and Ignition coils were all with spec and working properly. It was actually a fun easy process. Good Luck - you can do it. P.S. their documentation did not have the correct timing for my particular serial number of engine so you may want a shop manual also. Everything else was spot on to my Mercury shop manual.

Here is a link to the troubleshooting guide.
CDI Electronics Practical Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting

jim372

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1984 merc 50 hp.model # 06486332
it is 4 cylinder
I lost spark in the ign. system last year
its cranks but no spark
and looking for ideas
would it be stator , voltage reg.,etc
do not have a book but going to
look for one