Katama Windshield (Clear Vinyl) Repair

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice
When I bought my 74 whaler katama the clear plastic windscreen was in shreds (although the rest of the canvas was in good shape). I bought a piece of 40 gauge clear vinyl that I plan on having sewn on; does anyone have any guidance tips they can share? Should I use vinyl adhesive after it is sewn on? I don't care what it looks like I just want it to be functional (you know, to keep my beer from being blown all over the place).

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Katama Windshield (Clear Vinyl) Repair

Ayuh,..... All of mine are sewn, 'n not glued...

Odds are the stuff rots, 'n breaks up, before the seams are a problem...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to sew it, use baby powder on the vinyl so the machine won't Stick to the vinyl. Don't think you need to worry about gluing it.

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the inputs.

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Just an update:
1. If you buy a "yard" of clear vinyl it is enough for 4 windshields.
2. Probably could have used a 20 gauge
3. Taped the vinyl to the canvas on both sides with blue painter's tape (removed easily when I was done sewing)
4. Used a size 18 needle on a standard Singer Sewing machine, I needed to do a manual assist to get the needle started but then it continued to punch through the canvas/plastic/canvas "sandwich" with no problem

Bondo

Staff member

Just an update:
1. If you buy a "yard" of clear vinyl it is enough for 4 windshields.
2. Probably could have used a 20 gauge
3. Taped the vinyl to the canvas on both sides with blue painter's tape (removed easily when I was done sewing)
4. Used a size 18 needle on a standard Singer Sewing machine, I needed to do a manual assist to get the needle started but then it continued to punch through the canvas/plastic/canvas "sandwich" with no problem

Ayuh,.... Glad it worked out for ya,....

I did mine in 30ga....