New boat owner: Engine questions & cleaning

billjaber

Recruit
Hey all,

first and foremost, I'd like to thank you for clicking and reading. I really appreciate any help I can get here.
I am a first time boat owner, and extremely new to the game.

I bought a 2000 Sea Pro 170DC a month ago.
It has a 1999 Mercury 75HP Outboard 2-stroke engine.

We have been having some problems with it though...
And I would really appreciate it if someone could take the time to answer these questions and issues.

1. Hard to start
So when I go to start it, I pump up the primer bulb, turn the key to run, and choke it a few times. Then when I turn it to start it it gives me problems. First it'll make noises like its starting then just stop. And I keep choking and turning until it starts to start but only while the key is turned to start. Once I hit it back to run it does.
Someone told me to hi-idle but that kind of confuses me... Do I push the button and push down the throttle then start it up? Because when I do that it makes a very very loud noise and smokes. Or do I do it after I start it? Because then it just doesn't do anything cause it turned off on me. After a bunch of times it'll finally run... after I feel like I made a fool of myself at the launch and on the water... How do I fix this? I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I have already changed the fuel filter by the primer bulb and that got the bulb filling up again. Before that it'd stay soft and never get hard no matter how much pumping.

2. Cleaning
I would like to clean the engine out with some seafoam, but I'm not really sure where I'd put it. I have no background in mechanic work... most I've done on my truck (myself) is change to HIDs haha.
I saw online where people's boats are smoking like crazy when they pump it into the carb, and others say to mix with fuel in a separate tank and just disconnect from the fuel filter and put the hose into a tank of gas and seafoam.

3. Advice
Is there anything else I should do after just getting an older boat to insure it runs well? The hoses leading from the tank to the engine seem worn. They are cracked and old.

I saw manuals but they have low reviews. Some people say not to purchase unless you know the mechanics already.

Thanks so so much! It really is greatly appreciated.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New boat owner: Engine questions & cleaning

Hey all,

first and foremost, I'd like to thank you for clicking and reading. I really appreciate any help I can get here.
I am a first time boat owner, and extremely new to the game.

I bought a 2000 Sea Pro 170DC a month ago.
It has a 1999 Mercury 75HP Outboard 2-stroke engine.

We have been having some problems with it though...
And I would really appreciate it if someone could take the time to answer these questions and issues.

1. Hard to start
So when I go to start it, I pump up the primer bulb, turn the key to run, and choke it a few times. Then when I turn it to start it it gives me problems. First it'll make noises like its starting then just stop. And I keep choking and turning until it starts to start but only while the key is turned to start. Once I hit it back to run it does.
Someone told me to hi-idle but that kind of confuses me... Do I push the button and push down the throttle then start it up? Because when I do that it makes a very very loud noise and smokes. Or do I do it after I start it? Because then it just doesn't do anything cause it turned off on me. After a bunch of times it'll finally run... after I feel like I made a fool of myself at the launch and on the water... How do I fix this? I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I have already changed the fuel filter by the primer bulb and that got the bulb filling up again. Before that it'd stay soft and never get hard no matter how much pumping.

2. Cleaning
I would like to clean the engine out with some seafoam, but I'm not really sure where I'd put it. I have no background in mechanic work... most I've done on my truck (myself) is change to HIDs haha.
I saw online where people's boats are smoking like crazy when they pump it into the carb, and others say to mix with fuel in a separate tank and just disconnect from the fuel filter and put the hose into a tank of gas and seafoam.

3. Advice
Is there anything else I should do after just getting an older boat to insure it runs well? The hoses leading from the tank to the engine seem worn. They are cracked and old.

I saw manuals but they have low reviews. Some people say not to purchase unless you know the mechanics already.

Thanks so so much! It really is greatly appreciated.

:welcome: To answer your questions in order.

1) Yes you should push in the button on the throttle and high idle the engine BEFORE you turn the key but don't push the throttle all the way down. Just a little. Just enough to get the engine started and to keep it from stalling. Don't worry about the smoke. Thats just what 2 stroke motors do. It's the oil that you mix with the gas that is burning, nothing to worry about. Once the motor warms up bring the throttle back to idle and the button should pop back out by itself. Now you're ready to go.

2) If your engine is idling smoothly and at a low RPM after it warms up You can just add Seafoam to your gas tank and forget it. It will do the cleaning all by itself. If your engine idles rough after a tank of Seafoam then you might have another issue but it sounds as though it is fine after it warms up? If so, you have no worries.

3) If the fuel hoses from your tank to your motor are dry rotted (little spider cracks all over them) then replace them. They are a safety hazard. Getting manuals for your engine is always a good idea. Even if you don't do the work yourself they will give you a basic understanding of how they work, what should be done on them to keep them in tip top shape and show you how to repairs if you decide to attempt something in the future as well as part numbers for your specific engine. Only get a factory manual for both repair and parts. The rest are too general in their descriptions. You can order them here:

https://webapps.brunswick.com/litreq/navigate.do

As far as what to do to with an older boat goes. Just make sure everything works, such as lights, bilge pump etc. Since this is all new to you I would suggest meeting with a local marine mechanic and setting up a schedule to have your lower case oil changed, tune ups and general maintenance until you feel comfortable enough with the motor to start doing things your self. Most important of all take a boating safety course. Call your local Coast Guard or Coast Guard Auxiliary. They will be able to direct you to the nearest course and times. A good course will tell how to operate and navigate safely, what equipment you should have and legally need to have onboard and how to properly use it etc.

Best of luck and enjoy your new boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have a 90 and it's cold natured. I have recently been through the beast and all the functions are functioning so that supports my opinion. Once it warms up it's flawless the rest of the day......like having the throttle at idle, fast idle lever down, touch the key and it starts before your brain can tell you to turn loose of the key. Your procedure is ok. Might try a couple of things:

Ensure the engine is vertical with your bulb firm. Turn the key to the first position (ignition on) and press in on the key for about 5 seconds thus priming the engine directly. Set your fast idle lever up, all the way if you want....just be ready to get back on it when the engine lights off keeping the warmup rpms below 2500....till everything gets warmed up.

Run the starter for roughly 15 seconds and if nothing happens stop and repeat the process. Continue till it lights off.

I run Sea Foam in my fuel always. Since you apparently never had any, put in an overdose for the first 10 or so gallons. Maybe 3 oz per gallon rather than the normal 1 oz per gallon. If you get a lot of smoke and funny running that's part of the cleaning out cycle. The process you described is called "decarb" and it is the decarbonizing of your engine which just cleans things up and makes your engine run better. You don't need to do that if it's too complicated for you. Just do as I suggested. I learned about the product on this site about 8 years ago and after 50 years of boating with out it, I am sold on it now.

Once finished with decarbonizing it can still be finicky starting the first time of the day. Course my boat sits for as long as a 2 to 3 months without going out. If I used it daily, I wouldn't have the finicky problem. For example as of late, with long storage periods, I get the boat out the day before I go and put it on muffs. Get it warmed up and running right (get fuel circulated through the engine) and shut her down. Next day on the water it fires up first time.

HTH,
Mark

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have noticed over the years that every outboard I've owned had their own personality. Learning that unique outboard personality is the key to successfully starting them quickly. Once you have that knowledge understood you will be able to start it without thinking about it again. It just takes time...

billjaber

Recruit

Thank you all so much!

Very helpful and invaluable information!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have noticed over the years that every outboard I've owned had their own personality. Learning that unique outboard personality is the key to successfully starting them quickly. Once you have that knowledge understood you will be able to start it without thinking about it again. It just takes time...

I'd like to extend that to EVERY engine I ever owned, especially the ones you had to hand crank.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any two stroke I've ever owned needed fast idle on cold starts and many of them something other than normal idle for a warm start. You have a throttle only function use it. Carbureted engines are not like your fuel injected car where you just turn the key. It needs a bit of open throttle. For choking, hold the key in while you crank the engine. When it fires, pull back the throttle for a comfortable warm up idle speed, and be ready to push the key in a time or two (just bump it briefly) if the engine begins to stall. Don't wait until it does stall -- pay attention. Your ears will tell you the engine is slowing down and about to die. When idle is stable, pull back to full idle and go boating.

If you are not sure how to decarbon a motor then don't do it. There are plenty of "How To's" in this form so use the SEARCH feature. If the engine is running fine otherwise, just add SeaFoam to the fuel in the recommended dosage on the can. Over time it will do the same job.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Wow, what an information-packed thread! A well-thought-out question followed by the well-informed input from the field. I'm impressed...but I still own a Mercury:untroubled:

billjaber

Recruit

Much appreciated everyone.
You guys rock.

I feel reassured that I made a good purchase. A few have told me I got it at a good price at $4500. The dealer just opened and is getting tons of people selling their boats. I guess he felt pressure to get them out as quick as possible to make room for others. He said he already checked the motor out, just wish he changed the fuel line.

He was in the middle of buffing it and all when I purchased it, so I still have waxing and all to do on it. But that's the absolute easiest part.

I want to get a bow-mounted trolling motor but there is the anchor and rail in the way. I saw an awesome thread here though about a quick-release that will mount easily and let me keep all that in place.

I'm gonna swing by West Marine or Walmart tomorrow and get a new primer bulb w/ the hose attached and change that out.
I'm new to all this, but can't wait to learn. I think I can do it on my own.
I changed the filter and lower unit oil myself already.

Thanks again everyone!