1970 60HP Evinrude Electric shift issue after water pump replacement

chadc880

Cadet
1970 60073b 60HP

Shifted just fine until I changed the water pump

Didn't know the correct steps after disconnected the wires and then removing the lower unit

I removed the solenoids instead.

I put everything back together. All I get is a click noise either going to R or N

But it's stuck in forward gear.

I took my time and thought I had it put together correctly

Where do I start ?

What could I have screwed up ?

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970 60HP Evinrude Electric shift issue after water pump replacement

Hi Chad,

If the solenoids click when shifting into reverse or neutral then electrically you are probably OK.
Looks like you need to remove the gearcase again. There is adjustment to be made to the solenoids when reassembling the gearcase and solenoids.
If you send a PM I can scan the relevant pages from the manual.

Peter

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you running the motor when you are testing the shift? By design, it won't shift while not running. It has to be running in order for the oil pump to work. Oil pressure is what takes it out of forward gear.

chadc880

Cadet

Wow that is a relief and thank you for y'lls help. This morning I took the lower unit off again and inspected everything very closely. When I assembled it after the water pump replacement when I installed the solenoids back in they would not set in all the way down to the seated area. I gave some pressure and heard a click. Then the solenoids mounted correctly. Not fully understanding how the electric shift actually hydro shift works I thought it was completely mechanical and thought the click was the drive going into gear or something.

What I found was the "click" was the piston coming undone from the plastic piece with the spring around it and the piston getting pushed to the side.

Once I found this I retrieved the piston, put it back in place and carefully put everything back together.

Now all works like a charm.

Thats the piston in the middle at the bottom of the lower unit.

photo.JPG