Question regarding glassing in sides of new floor/deck (pics)

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys,i just removed the original rotted floor out of my bayliner. On this particular boat, they ran rectangular boxes along the sides of the hull(probably filled with foam). The original decking runs underneath these boxes to wheres its glassed to the sides of the hull. The problem is that i dont have access to the inner sides of the hull with these boxes in the way. These boxes seem to be made of 5/8 or 3/4 wood glassed together and are very rigid. My question is: can i glass my new floor/deck to these boxes or do i need to remove them and glass floor directly to hull? It will be lots of work to remove these boxes and i would obviously prefer not to have to cut them out, but if need be i'll do the extra work. what do you guys think??

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bay2.jpg
    bay2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question regarding glassing in sides of new floor/deck (pics)

I think your going to need access to the hull. The deck glassed to the hull is part of the overall strength of the hull.

rickryder

Commander

Pull out the boxes and tab to the hull....you have gone this far might as well do it right and not try to short cut. Have you core sampled your stringers and transom for rot? Nice to see another NJ guy! I'm up in NNJ Sussex Co. Where are you located? If your close and you need some insight on what your doing I would lend a hand. ;)

Check my rest below for tips.

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks Steven & Rick..My transom and stringers are good. i'm in Morris county.(Florham Park). i'd love some assistance/insight Rick!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

HOW do you KNOW they are good? Have you core sampled them?

rickryder

Commander

Weekends are good for me....I wouldn't mind stopping by and see what your up against. Send me a PM with your number and we will touch base ;)

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i started cutting out these boxes and sure enough they were filled with foam. Bayliner actually did not even glass the plywood floor/decking into the hull. The edges/sides of the ply were left just floating under these side boxes. Bayliner did however do a pretty decent job glassing the stringers as they are in good shape. Did some core samples.. I'd love to weigh all the wet foam when im finished. It has be well over 150 lbs so far.Now i wont feel bad about buying the heavier 4stroke o/b ive been wanting lol. The next descision i have to make is whether or not to make a removable hatch over the fuel tank. I'd rather not but i guess it could be nice to have full access to the tank if i needed it..what do you guys think?

Attachments

• side box.jpg
    side box.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
  • bay1.jpg
    bay1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0

rickryder

Commander

If anything I would make access to the sender and hoses....you have a plastic tank it should be fine.