Lost spark starboard bank? Help please?

Tebassco

Cadet
I have an "83" XR6 that i have lost all spark to the starboard bank. I am guess ing switchbox is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm on a tight S.S. budjet and trying to fix this myself....thanks!

Laddies

Banned
Re: Lost spark starboard bank? Help please?

It's either a switch box or a stator swap the red and red/white wires and the blue with the blue/white wires on the boxes, if the spark switches banks it's the stator, if it stays the same it's a box. If it's a box disconnect the bias wire between the boxes and see if that fixes the problem, a bad bias in one box will keep the other box from firing.

17rogue70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that would be cyls. 1 3 5 correct? swap the wires (red and blue)running from the stator to each switch box to see if the spark changes sides. if it does , then the stator is bad. if it doesnt change sides then it miight be the switch box. i had the same issue with an 86 150 hp and the problem was my stator. i hope for you it is something less expensive and easy to fix. hope this helps

17rogue70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

laddies beat me to it , i forgot about the bias wire.

Tebassco

Cadet

Ok guys. I thank you so much for your help!!! One more little dumb ? Which one is the Bias wire...i think i know but just checking.

Laddies

Banned

The bias wire is the only wire that goes from one box to the other

jeff2c

Recruit

The bias wire is the only wire that goes from one box to the other

I just went through my 1986 v175 for the first time (No spark on 3 cylinders). CDI electronics has exceptional step by step troubleshooting guides that are in plain English. Believe me, you can follow their guides and find the problem. They also have excellent phone support. I am not anyway associated with CDI other than a believer in their parts and service. Go to cdielectronics.com and click on their support link at the top. Then click on their CDI troubleshooting guide. If you want to do a thorough job you will need to get a DVA adapter for a multimeter. I bought one off ebay from patriot-electronics for $35. I positively confirmed a bad switch box and followed their test procedures to verify my Stator, Trigger, Rectifier, Regulator, and Ignition coils were all with spec and working properly. It was actually a fun easy process. Good Luck - you can do it. P.S. their documentation did not have the correct timing for my particular serial number of engine so you may want a shop manual also. Everything else was spot on to my Mercury shop manual.