Help needed to identify this boat

cmorrisett

Recruit
2013-02-25 17.32.29.jpg2013-02-25 17.33.22.jpg2013-02-25 17.33.36.jpg2013-02-25 17.34.01.jpg

I need some help to identify this boat. The only information I have been given is that it is a 1970 28' Bertram. I don't even know if that is the correct year or manufacturer. Any assistance would be appreciated. The things that have stood out as being different from anything I can find on the internet - the front widow has 4 panes whereas all I've found have 2 or 3. All serial numbers and plates were removed when this boat was redone/scraped.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: Help needed to identify this boat

Welcome aboard! I can't help ya because I know ziltch about those boats but I'm sure another will be along to have p ya!

Bondo

Staff member

I need some help to identify this boat. The only information I have been given is that it is a 1970 28' Bertram. I don't even know if that is the correct year or manufacturer. Any assistance would be appreciated. The things that have stood out as being different from anything I can find on the internet - the front widow has 4 panes whereas all I've found have 2 or 3. All serial numbers and plates were removed when this boat was redone/scraped.

Ayuh,.... What does the Paper work that came with it call it,..??

That's all that really matters,...

Without paper, you've got a pile of scrap...

cmorrisett

Recruit

Not in Tennessee. Whatever you decide you call it, as long as you register the correct size and have a bill of sale, that's all Tennessee requires. Just really wanted to register with as accurate of information as possible.

Ned L

Commander

Hmm, ... I almost see more Owens or Trojan in her, but the twin inboard/outboard setup would be more typical of Bertram in that time period (I think Owens or Trojan would more typically have been straight inboard). Did a bit of looking on line and couldn't match her up, I did find a couple of Bertrams that were surprisingly close, but not right on.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my vote is not a Bertram, Trojan possible

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I agree. Not a Bertram. Looks like it could be an Allmand. The Bertram 28 was/is a purty distinctive design, and most were built in a sport fish configuration. With a small fly bridge, like so: Proud to say I've done the majority of the canvas & cushion work on "Runaway".

Fwiw some of the Coast Guard cutters of that era had hulls that were 'splashed' from Bertrams. Extremely seaworthy hull.

Attachments

• Bertram28BillCaldwell.jpg
    Bertram28BillCaldwell.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • BillCBertram.jpg
    BillCBertram.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander

V153, ... Yep, that's the classic & timeless Bertram 28. Beautiful boat. Bertram did build some others that, thought they had definate Bertram styling were quite different than the classic one we all know.

3Ed3L93Fb5Na5Ge5M9d2k75ef3eacd2b714ae.jpg