40' MH with 20' boat

iamalienru

Cadet
I have an oppertunity to buy a nice 40' American Eagle motorhome. my boat is 20' with trailer 25 ' putting me at 65'. 65' is the leagal limit in California. Is this a really bad idea? What limits and problems will I have trying to haul all of this around. Does anyone do this length RVing? Thanks for any experiance you can give me

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: 40' MH with 20' boat

If you can handle the rv you will be FINE

If it doesn't already have it put a camera on the back with a good big screen on the dash... the only issue you will have is seeing the boat.

My truck fifth wheel and jeep combo is 75' and If I pull my 20' boat right at 80'.... no trouble at all

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Can the RV handle the tongue weight plus can it legaly pull the load?

iamalienru

Cadet

The Boat is about 2,800 lbs. The tow capicty is about 10k I will have to check the tongue weight but I am thinking its about 400lbs. What about boat ramps and camping facilities any ideas of the complications I know a lot boat rec areas they will launch your boat for a fee I don't know i would want to try to launch it with the MH . 65-70' is the legal lenght for california. I think I would be legal rolling down the road

iamalienru

Cadet

I will check everything before i buy it i am pretty he said it a 10k tow capcity. it good to know that other people tow my size boat behind their coaches. i alway see cars behind them but not to many boats. if everything works well and i have wieght capcity left i might find out if i can add a motorcycle lift and add the 700 lbs harley to the back now that i have never seen boat and harley

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last year I was at 32' RV with 21' boat & 26' trailer. RV is a Class C with the Ford 460 motor. I did two trips to the lake about an hour away.

For me ---
a) Stop & go in traffic, complete performance dog!
b) highway was OK. I just kept thinking I'm a big rig and I'm not going to worry about other cars, etc --- they are more nimble and probably want to get away from me anyways...
c) 5MPG
d) Plan out the gas stations ! You'll want straight thru lanes!
e) My launch area was a State Park and plenty of room to manuever.
f) I was able to see just enough of my trailer fender to back down OK.
g) At the ramp, you WILL be a spectacle and a gawking crowd will gather. Hero or Zero ! hahahaha....
h) Embrace the moment. You have all these toys for adventure -- and you'll be having one!
i) After launching, I parked the trailer, went to the camp site, and enjoyed using all the toys for 4 days.

The only thing I was concerned about was any panic stop or tight gas stations.

DO IT !