'98 Johnson 115 Hp outboard / hard to start

Ronbeebe

Recruit
I have a Johnson 115 that is really hard to start. Once it is started it runs good.
I push the ignition in while starting. I have changed the spark plugs. is there a way of checking timing?
Do I need to have the carborator rebuilt? I don't know what to do
Ronbeeb

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: '98 Johnson 115 Hp outboard / hard to start

Do you squeeze the primer bulb until firm? Do you open the the start throttle all the way? How long do you push in the ignition key (6-10 seconds)?

Post back with your answers. And most of all you need to do some troubleshooting rather than guessing - spark check - compression check - get the OMC manual for your engine and read up. Also spend some time reading in the FAQ section.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

what model number is the motor? I think they made two different style 115s up until 1998. one style is a style I have 60 degree looper. the proceedure is :

prime the gas line bulb until hard. turn the ignition on and push in the key for 6 seconds or so. leave the shifter in nuetral and the trottle in the same spot. turn the key to start the engine. The motor has a fast idle setting, so no advance throttle is needed( called QUICK START).

you may have to make sure that enough gas is getting into the manifolds. which is what happens when you push the key in and hold it in for 6 seconds...you allow the pressurized gas in the line to run through the primer solenoid and into the manifld , bypassing the carb...

if the motor doesnt start right away, you will have to give it another 6 seconds of gas.... i have used the nuetral advance of throttle...but theoretically it isnt needed....but my primer soleniod was not working all the time..
i have the same issue with my motor, takes a while to start when cold, but then runs great and is easy to start afterwards...because once you get the gas flowing good...the motor is happy

bob

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Have you checked to see that the primer hose(s) aren't cracked/dry rotted. Or eaten up by ethanol?

Sometimes the primer case itself will develop cracks.

Go through your normal starting procedure with the motor on muffs & the cowl off. Have an observer or two keep an eye on it whilst doin so. That'll at least tell ya if the problem's in your primer pump or hoses?

I would also inspect the filter in the fuel pump to see if any crud is in there. How new/old are your fuel lines? Are they ethanol resistant?