Lower Unit Frozen can't remove, help!

Flipperboat

Cadet
I have read most of the post about trying to remove the lower unit from my newly acquired 1972 Merc 20hp. Finally got it to crank and prayed that it would pump water (not). Now the challenge to remove the lower is haunting me. Put a 2x4 on the cavitation plate and hit that with a hammer, not a good idea. Now I have a crack in the cavitation plate. I can't even get any crack between the two. What do I do? I read that the shaft is stuck in the powerhead and there is no way to get that off without damaging that as well. Can anybody offer any solution to this problem? I heard a wise man once say "If its black give it back! Even if it is free, let it be." Here is some good advice for someone thinking to restore an old merc. take everything apart before you start the restoration so you can evaluate the cost and the likelihood of completion.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Lower Unit Frozen can't remove, help!

Don't force it! You probably missed a bolt....and it's probably the shift linkage bolt that's on the engine itself. Find a schematic of your motor on marineengine.com and you'll see where the linkage shaft connects to the motor.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lower Unit Frozen can't remove, help!

Have you removed the bolts under the anoial plate above the prop shaft? There should be a plug on the top of the midsection above that plate that has to be removed inorder to get to the bolt after the plate has been removed. JMO
Oldman570