Just bought a 2005 Yamaha 8hp, anything to look out for?

ncpi

Seaman
Hi folks,

Just bought a really nicely maintained Yamaha F8MSHC 8hp 4-stroke. Oil and gear lube have been changed annually. It has been used in brackish water, but flushed every time. In Fall its been fogged and sprayed down with WD40.

This is my first 4-stroke, anything I should watch out for?

Thanks!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Just bought a 2005 Yamaha 8hp, anything to look out for?

Have two freinds with that motor. They use them for trolling as kickers. Both have lots of hours on them and they have never had a problem.

ncpi

Seaman

Have two freinds with that motor. They use them for trolling as kickers. Both have lots of hours on them and they have never had a problem.

That is great to hear! Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have not owned a four stroke before make sure you pull the dip stick frequently to keep an eye on oil level. Four strokes that run at slow speeds for long periods or those that are propped incorrectly can (note I said "can" and not "will") make oil. How is that possible you say? That rising oil level is due to unburned fuel. If you experience this issue you need very frequent oil changes as gasoline is not a good lubricant, or you need to change the prop to allow the engine to rev a bit higher. Clean fuel and use of a fuel additive like SeaFoam will ensure the carb stays clean.

ncpi

Seaman

Appreciate the oil tip. Do you use seafoam on every tank? Do you use it in place of Stay-bil or together with Stay-bil?

How prone are these engines to breaking a timing belt?