Bad Primer Choke Solenoid?

hsdtech

Seaman
I have a 1983 70hp Johnson that I just bought and put on my boat. It would would run for a few seconds and die every time I started it. I went through fuel lines, fuel pump, and carbs.
The next time I cranked it I found that as soon as it would start to die I flipped the red primer switch to manual for a few seconds and then flipped it back to regular, it gave it enough gas to keep going. After doing this a couple of more times it stayed running in the regular setting.

When I push the key button in I can here the solenoid click. If it "clicks" does that mean the solenoid is all good, or can something else be wrong with it? I mean apparently it wasn't working correctly if I had to flip the switch to manual to get the motor to run until it was warmed up. UNLESS I didn't hold the key button in long enough???
I have no experience with these electronic primers, only electronic chokes.

Rick.

Captain
Re: Bad Primer Choke Solenoid?

It is not unusual to have to push the key more than once. Next time it starts to die push the key again and see if that helps. Normally if you here the click on pushing the key it means it is working. When mine engine is cold I normally have to push the key more than once and once it is warmed up not again that day. Best of luck. Rick.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Follow Rick's advice. It's very normal to have to push in on the key switch a few times in the first minute of running to keep the engine going. They are pretty cold-blooded. Once you start the engine this way a few times, you'll learn how often you need to keep choking it till the engine warms up and can run on it's own. If you'd like to test the fuel primer system: pump up the fuel hose bulb, pull one of the tiny fuel primer hoses off the brass hose barb on the engine end, turn the key to on, and push in on the key. You should see fuel pulsing out of the end of that small hose. I would not pull the hose off the plastic barbs on the solenoid....they really break easily when you go to reinstall them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You also need to have the primer bulb firmed up before the primer solenoid does anything. The primer solenoid is not a pump -- it is merely a valve. If there si pressure in the fuel line, when you push in on the key the solenoid opens the valve and fuel squirts directly into the manifold. On cold starts the starting sequence is like this:

1) Squeeze primer bulb until firm
2) Raise fast idle level about 1/2 - 2/3 up
3) Turn key to RUN (NOT START) -- See option below
4) Push in on key and hold for a count of 8 - 10
5) Release key and turn to START
6) When engine fires quickly lower fast idle lever to a comfortable fast idle
7) Be ready to push the key in if engine begins to die. Don 't wait until it dies -- BE READY
8) When engine is running steady lower fast idle lever and go boating.

The #3 and #4 option is to simply crank the engine while holding the key in. Either way works.
The only time you need to use the red lever is if the battery is dead and you need to rope start a cold engine. You put the lever in the manual position and start the engine. Flip it back quickly when running.
As for the solenoid being bad, if it clicks it is working. But fuel may not flow if the valve is plugged. Disconnect the small tube, pressurize the fuel line, turn on the key and push it in. If fuel squirts out, the valve is working properly. Rebuild kits are available if it is not.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

for sure you have to pressureing the gas line-primer bulb.

and you can check if the primer is allowing gas flow when the key is pushed in , by pulling the small fuels lines that go from the solenoid to the manifold, OFF the monifold, Then if you push the key , gas squirt squirt out the line!! it might be clogged!!!! you HEAR the click, and think all is well

bob

hsdtech

Seaman

Yeah I always made sure the bulb was primed. My main issue was working the primer.

-By the way does anyone know if the '83 70hp came with a flywheel cover? It seems they should have but I don't even see any mounting holes for one. I couldn't find any used ones for my model on ebay or any online marine parts sites either.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

why would you think it would have a flywheel cover.

the only J-E motors that I have seen or heard of that had covers over the flywheel were the OIS ignition system motors... which i THINK were only 60 degree loopers...but not 100 % sure on that.

did you think you wer emissing the cover...or was your previous motor , one of those with OIS ignition???

bob

hsdtech

Seaman

Just seemed like it should have one and thought it was missing. No big deal.