New to boating and need some help

scampy74

Recruit
Hello all,

My wife and I just purchased a new home on a lake with a private dock and were wanting to get a boat. I'll just preface this and say that I am 100% new to boating (only ever been on a cruise ship) and my wife has been on boats before, but never owned one. That being said, we both would love to get into boating.

The association that owns the development/lake that we live on requires that all boats only have a 10hp or less engine. The lake is approximately 1200 acres total in size and we live on the main part of the lake and not a channel. Some activities we would like to be able to do from the boat: cruise around with 4-6 people (max), fish, swim, etc. We aren't looking for anything that goes super fast (as I'm sure a 10hp engine couldn't do anyway) and just looking for something that we can use on weekends to relax.

What is the best type of boat with a motor of 10hp or less that would give us everything we're wanting to do?

Not knowing a whole lot about boats, I'm confused on all the different types and rather than trying to read every single description, I thought I'd just turn to the boating experts for help. I've noticed that pontoon boats are relatively popular on the lake, but not sure about anything else.

Thanks for your help!

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New to boating and need some help

Welcome to iboats!

With a 10hp limit, watersports are certainly out of the question as is any speed contests. You are limited to outboard propulsion only, so given your wants, I would say a 20 foot or smaller pontoon would be ideal.

Good luck!

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard Scampy:

My father-in-law lives on a similar lake (though smaller), and I agree with Seville - pontoon. For as many people as you want to put on it, you're going to be limited by nearly anything else. Pontoon is an excellent platform for fishing or swimming too, so it works well for what you would like.

I would look at some of your neighbors pontoons and gauge size vs. HP (20' pontoon with a 10HP). The reason I suggest this is pontoons can be pushed around by wind. If you have too big a pontoon, the 10HP might move it okay ... until you get some more powerful wind on ya'. Then you'll have a hard time steering it the way you want to go.

For 6 people a 16' to 18' toon may do nicely, but most would consider it a smaller 'toon.

scampy74

Recruit

Thanks for the replies southkogs and Silly Seville. It's sounding like pontoon is the way to go... are there any recommendations on makes to get/avoid?

Also, what is a typical good price range for both new and used pontoon boats (I'm in Kentucky if that helps)? Preferably would like to remain around 15K, but could go up higher if needed. Not knowing a whole lot about boats, I'd feel better getting a range from some experts, that way I know the dealers/sellers aren't pulling a fast one on me.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you would be best getting a good inflatable. They are great to swim out of. In fact my wife would do that at 7 months pregnant and still get back in. (She used a lifejacket under her knees to get her started out of the water. It's easy to find one rated at 5 or more that is also rated for 10 hp. With that engine and two people you can get up on plane at travel in circles around the neighbour with a pontoon.
However, you are sitting in the boat and not on a bench or chair as you would be in a pontoon. For fishing you can get a bench that will hold a swivel seat on top and the fuel tank inside. Buying a better one will make you happier than buying an inexpensive one.
(please note the bias I have, as I've never enjoyed a pontoon but many others do)

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

requires that all boats only have a 10hp or less engine....... cruise around with 4-6 people (max), fish, swim, etc. .....What is the best type of boat with a motor of 10hp or less that would give us everything we're wanting to do?
Not knowing a whole lot about boats.......

You do not mention it specifically but some lakes do not allow anything other than electric engines but even if you can run gas, worth checking out the line of electrics.

Here's some but I'm sure there's others:
Midwest Electric Boats | Electric Powered Boating | Kankakee, Illinois
ElectraCraft Electric Power Boats | Electric powered boats | Battery powered boats | Westlake Village, CA
EPower Marine ~ Responsible Recreation ~ Boats for the Modern World
Tamarack Lake Electric Boat Company - Solar Electric Boat
http://www.duffyboats.com/

Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to find a 16' toon, with an 8 or 10 hp motor, and a trailer, for 10-14 thousand.

Here are 3 for comparison.
THe first one is pretty basic, has an 8 hp motor, no trailer. $8,000

Factory direct pontoon boats-New 16 ft fish with used 2 stroke Nissan 8 hp | eBay

2nd one is a bit fancier, 20 hp motor, no trailer. 12 grand

Below dealer cost-New 16 Ft pontoon boat and motor--Factory direct sales in Powerboats & Motorboats | eBay Motors

This one also has a 20, 10 grand plus trailer.

BASS-BUGGY-16_img30149_900.jpg

Congrats on the new house, and welcome to iboats.

southkogs

Staff member

Also, what is a typical good price range for both new and used pontoon boats (I'm in Kentucky if that helps)? Preferably would like to remain around 15K, but could go up higher if needed.
Depending on where in KY you are, if you wanna' look through used boats on CL that'll be a good indicator of the used market. Used 'toons are kina' a double edged sword. There's not that much to 'em ... two cans to float it, something big and flat to sit on and an outboard to make it go. On the other hand ... most people who let a pontoon go unmaintained wind up ruining the stuff you sit on (including the big flat "something" holding you off the water). They're pretty easy to rebuild for the DIY guy ... but sometimes they're not as water ready as you'd like. It'll take some careful lookin'.

Anywhere near Land Between the Lakes, Dale Hollow or anything like those areas there will be all kinds of boats worth looking at.

Otherwise, Roscoe's shown you a good new option.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

id def go with a nice toon welcome to iboats great place keep us posted on what u get good luck !!!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I also use a 9.9 outboard on a limited HP lake, and from personal experience and thing from a 18 to a 28 is fine. I have a 20 and the top speed is around 10 mph dropping off depending on how many are aboard. You should be able to find several nice boats in your price range depending on your exact area, the only thing you may run into is the motor most will have a bigger motor so re powering may be a draw back. But if you take your time you can find one ready to use especially this time of year. I am in the Huntington WV area on the very eastern KY end and their is a few boats up for sale at my marina and a 9.9 lake is some what common. So you should be able to find exactly what your looking for.

9.9 pontoons are some what common and the biggest draw back will be finding one with a trailer, most will keep it on the water year round and dont have a trailer. Their several on the CL listing in the Huntington WV area right now.