1996 johnson 112 spl wont stop running

ok so here goes our current knowledge so far
the ignition switch brand new omc and correctly hooked up
the yellow and black wire is in good condition and am getting great steady power through it
the white black wire whereabouts unknown
boat will start and run like clock work
the power pack or white/black wire must be not getting a ground?
the motor is not dieseling
in a nutshell we can pull the key out and it will still run what is wrong????????

we fixed it the boat runs like a champ this is what we wanted and expected from this motor and boat thank you guys soo much no longer need to post any info was only a little grount wire that rotted away
we replaced a lot of stuff onthis motor just about all of the electrical components here are new and replaced!!!!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Last edited:

lilroud

Cadet
Re: 1996 johnson 112 spl wont stop running

I had a lawn mower that we would have to ground out manually to stop it... I know you dont have a lawn mower motor I just agreeing it has to be a ground issue I would think

all replys are greatly appreciated please keep them coming
:thumb:

lilroud

Cadet

will the kill switch stop it atleast?

lilroud

Cadet

i would say ignition switch but you said it was new... I would double check the wiring. also suggest checking the starter solenoid. maybe someone else will chime in, thats all i got.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Last one I worked on the wire was broke where it went into the plug that you can disconnect in motor connector that grounds the ignition .

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Double check the rubber wiring sockets/connectors to make sure one of the pins has not come out (pushed out of the connector.) Possible it is not making contact.

thank you all so much please keep them coming!!!! :]

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Bad rectifier.

Thank you guys the problem is solved!!! Turns out after i spent several hundreds of dollars, new ignation switch,new powerpack, my son disconnected a black ground wire under the centerconsole at the instrument guages. Took me several weeks to find this since i only have time to work on the boat sundays only. What a lesson !!! Thanks for your help anyway.