Distributor installation

bzuchero

Seaman
I boutt my 1988 Seaswirl with a blown engine which was partly torn down by the original owner. Needless to say, the distributor was removed. There are no markings on it to indicate which sparkplug wire is #1. I have attached pictures of the distributor hoping someone could point me to #1. The manual does not show #1 in relation to the hold down tabs that the distributor cap is held down with.

DSC01415.jpgDSC01416.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Distributor installation

You need to start at square one. I assume you have some kind of V8. You need to roll the engine around to top dead center for the number one cylinder. I assume that your wires are in the proper sequence for your particular motor? Keep in mind that the the crank will turn around twice for each revolution of the distributor so you have to make sure that you are on the firing stroke for number one.

Once done, you can drop the distributor in and make sure that the rotor is pointing to the number one wire position. That'll be good enough to get you going. Then you can use your timing light and set the actual timing.

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

Need to know what engine...

Then go to Google images and type that in to the search bar

OMC Ford 5.0 firing order or OMC 5.7 firing order - it will bring up an image that will let you know what you need to do

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You not only need to get it to TDC, you also need to have it at TDC on the compression stroke or you will be 180? out. As you are turning the engine to TDC, put your finger over the spark plug hole to see if it being pressurized is the best/easiest way.