What is this boat? Please help!

Ok so me and my brother bought this boat last year in England and have so far stripped it out and replaced everything ( short version of a very long story!!) with A LOT of help from previous threads on iboats (thanks!).

I was hoping to discover the make and name of the boat as we went but so far no joy, can any of you very knowledgable people help us? (sorry about the blatant flattery!)

The boat is prob just over 20 feet long and has an omc straight six inboard. The steering console has mercruiser 165 written on it!

If any more information is needed just ask the question!

Thanks for your help.

Keir

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is this boat? Please help!

Welcome to iboats.

Is there a hull id number or serial number on the transom?
Was this boat made in the US, or somewhere in Europe?

Unfortunately there aren't any serial numbers on the transom or hull it seems like there have been a few repairs in this area and they may have been lost! I was hoping someone might be able to identify it from the pics! Would the hull number be on the rear of the boat?
Any ideas would be gratefully received. :)

I was led to believe the boat was made in America (the bloke I got it from murmured something about drug smuggling! Lol I thinks the profits would have gone on the fuel to keep the 4litre straight six going!!)
Sorry that's about all the history I have.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

My guess would go to Thompson ? Coppied and pasted this from Hull Forum

At the marina I've been seeing a couple of older fiberglass boats which have been molded to look like wooden lapstrake boats. Does this lapstrake. ... I noticed the old Chris Craft, Thomson, White and Lyman hulls rode better.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If US made, the hull id should be on the outside of the transom, top, starboard side.

Also may be inside on the transom, near the engine.

Also may appear under the helm.

Look for something similar to this: ADH76543C892

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Go fast boat with kicker trolling motor to disguise drug smuggling to support hi B.O.A.T. habit ?

I was led to believe the boat was made in America (the bloke I got it from murmured something about drug smuggling! Lol I thinks the profits would have gone on the fuel to keep the 4litre straight six going!!)
Sorry that's about all the history I have.

southkogs

Staff member

I was thinking Pen Yan, but it's just a guess.

That ole' inline six isn't too bad on fuel. I've got one in my boat (a bit smaller than that) and it's reasonable.

Welcome aboard Keir.

Thanks for your replies, I can see the resemblance to a Thompson but cant find an exact match yet!!
I look at the model names of your boats at the bottom of your posts and am very jealous, I really want to know what it is that is taking up all our spare time and money!!

Glad to hear she wont guzzle too much Southkogs i was a little worried.
are these straight six engines common?

southkogs

Staff member

...are these straight six engines common?
I think (not an expert at all) both Merc and OMC used the inline 6 (Chevy 250) in their drives in the 70's. Probably earlier 70's more than later.

I would say (rather than commonly used) they're not uncommon.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kinda looks like a early 70s Bell Buoy ,they used the lapstrake look. The merc 165 (250 cid chev) was a common power plant in the 60s and 70s.