motor wouldnt re-start after warmed up

boatguy999

Recruit
79 evinrude 150 starts when cold but after running 20 minutes or so, kill the engine and it wont start. Starter turns and turns but engine wont start. Pump up bulb, choke it, move start lever, nothing works. Waited an hour or 2 and it started again getting me back to shore. Carbs rebuilt last week. Seems like a fuel problem of sorts. At one point the bulb wouldnt firm up as if full, just kept squeezing and squeezing. Could the problem be as simple as a bad bulb / fuel line? What else could it be? Any comments would be greatly apprciated. Impeller was also changed last week.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor wouldnt re-start after warmed up

The first thing to do is check your spark with an open air gap spark tester. Should jump a 7/16" open air gap. If that's okay, then look into your fuel system. Check your spark when the problem occurs.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

i may not be helping here, but it is hard to beleive that it is spark or fuel bulb-primer, when the motor starts so easily originally and runs great....for( you dont say how long) a long time...only to NOT start after the operator turns it off...

i would suspect some type of flooding problem or a bad electrical componenet that is needed only for starting....but not for running.

maybe the starter solenoid shorts out when warm

those would be the places id look...but i an dumb when it comes to electrical stuff...

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like an ignition electrical component that fails after it gets warm.