Lower Unit Advice Needed

Lower Unit Advice Needed

• Just run l/u as is and change oil often

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a 1973 Mercury Thunderbolt 1150 outboard. I need to replace the seals in the lower unit. I have them all (thanks iBoats). And the lower unit is out (no troubles getting it out) The water pump removed and being rebuilt, but I have not attempted to remove the spanner nut, or anything other than that. Also, the prop is removied (obviously).

My question is, is this a diy possible job, or would I be better off brining it to a marine mechanic?]

If I do it myself, what is the best way of removing the spanner nut and clamping the lower unit in a vice to do so?

I have access to a welder, and many other tools, so making a spanner nut wrench is not out of the realm of possibility, but I was wondering if that is the best way to do it.

Thank you in advance. If you need the serial number or more info, Please refer to my personal info (just click on my screen name).

I dont really want to break my L/U :doh: & :mad-new: as I am on a very tight budget.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lower Unit Advice Needed

Spend alittle more for a manual for the motor and have a good camera handy and take lots of pictures when DIY.
Oldman570

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any suggestions on which manual is the best??

Thanks for the advice

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I would try to get a manufactures service manual first. A check on Ebay might have one on there for sale or a trip to a dealer might get you one. Seloc and Cylmer manuals will have the info, but you might have to jump around in them, to find everything needed to do the job. JMO
Check your PM's
Oldman570