Question for all the Force experts!

barten111

Cadet
Recently I tried to DIY on my 1989 125 Force. I got all the stuff needed to change the lower oil and noticed three screws, two on the top and one by the case. I removed the two tops ones and the bottom one. I removed it to only discover very dark oil slowly dripping out of it. I did some research on this and I discovered that I wasn't supposed to remove this screw!!!ARHHHHH why did they put it there? My suprise I tried to put it back in but wasnt able to, I moved the shifter a few times and it went right back in. I shifted it into forwards and reverse no problems, (with the engine on of course) Question for all the Force experts, how do I know if Its ok? Please let me know If I messed it up or if I have to remove the lower unit to get it right. Anyone have a video on removing a lower unit on this engine. .....

sightsrv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Question for all the Force experts!

Recently I tried to DIY on my 1989 125 Force. I got all the stuff needed to change the lower oil and noticed three screws, two on the top and one by the case. I removed the two tops ones and the bottom one. I removed it to only discover very dark oil slowly dripping out of it. I did some research on this and I discovered that I wasn't supposed to remove this screw!!!ARHHHHH why did they put it there? My suprise I tried to put it back in but wasnt able to, I moved the shifter a few times and it went right back in. I shifted it into forwards and reverse no problems, (with the engine on of course) Question for all the Force experts, how do I know if Its ok? Please let me know If I messed it up or if I have to remove the lower unit to get it right. Anyone have a video on removing a lower unit on this engine. .....

I found this post maybe will help.
http://forums.iboats.com/force-chrysler-outboards/1988-89-force-125-piviot-screw-problem-395615.html
Clickable not sure. More or less have seen 4 posts on this. Not a expert but all say if shifts forward & reverse
more or less like before then you got lucky and should have no problems. Book says "if this screw is removed
a shift part would fall to the bottom, lower unit might have to be removed and fixed". I am no expert far from
it but are a few posts seems to say ur ok. Cant click post just search yahoo. "pivot screw 89 force 125".
Thats how I found posts here on iboats and other web posts. Hope it helps!! Do a web search
with that question about a video if no one has it. I found a lot of vids on utube didnt think
could find on my 97 120.

wickware

Lieutenant

This has happened and fixes have been shared. I tried to search for one tip where parts were manipulated with sewing thread to align the parts allowing the pivot screw to be replaced in the shifting fork.

I feel someone will share that technique, the teardown technique and the ?add some silicon over the screw? technique to avoid it in the future. I tried to find a youtub that would be helpful. I did find very little info at the address below. Good Luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/force-chrysler-outboards/idiot-removed-shift-pivot-screw-help-151127.html

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This is a very common issue.
Has been covered here many times.

"Removed shift pivot screw" is not something anyone wants to hear.

You may be alright, some people have gotten lucky.
And some people have had disastrous results after running for an hour or two.

To be sure...

Drain the lube,
drop the lower unit,
remove the water pump,
remove the gearcase cover plate,
then look inside to see if it is assembled correctly.

33.png

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Usually if you can shift it into gear, all gears, F N R And it actually works. Then you should be ok.
Try to start it and shift it while it's running.
Get a manual!! Or download the free ones.

Jiggz

Captain

Personally, I would just disconnect the shift rod from the angled connector or horizontal connector at the mid leg and try pulling the lower shift rod up and see how far it will go or pull up. If the shift coupler (45) is screwed at the pivot point the lower shift rod should only move no more than 3/8" to 1/2". But if it's not screwed at the pivot point it will probably move all the way out up to the gear housing cover.

barten111

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys! I haven't taken the boat out to the lake yet and see if I lucked out, but I will soon.