What to expect

Crownline230

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all!

I'm totally new to this forum and to boating as well. I love scuba diving and the ocean in general, so I finally took the dive in buying a boat last week. The catch is, by profession I am into car rebuilding and sales so I have access to auctions and bought this 2005 Crownline 230 bow rider that is reported to be flooded. I'm not sure how it was flooded, by rain or anyother way. It has the Volvo penta 5.7 engine and needs a bit more than tlc. I still haven't seen the boat in person, it was an online auction. So what kind of repairs should I be getting ready for. Should I be worried about the stringer, transom, or deck on this particular model? Should I expect engine, electrical damage? I got the boat for $4500 would you consider that a bargain or over the top. This is my first boat so I thought it will give me good experience in boating in general, as I will have to look into just about everything from boat designs, repairs and rebuilding. Probably move up from here. Thanks in advance for any advice, criticisms, suggestions!

10425704_1_I.jpg10425704_2_I.jpg10425704_3_I.jpg10425704_4_I.jpg10425704_9_I.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: What to expect

Welcome aboard.

Expect everything could be damaged.

If it was flooded with or sat in saltwater, expect worse.

Stringers and transom, may be ok, depending on conditions during and after the flooding.

Advice, do a total assessment of the damage before you start any repairs or buy a trailer.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could this be a result from the hurricane that was up in new york? Where are you located? Looks like a ok deal. But you paid more than anyone else decided they would...
If you like projects, then you will be happy here. Lots of areas to work on... engine, drive, hull, wiring, interior. You have more time than me friend. Goodluck with this one and keep us posted on your findings.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

roscoe - First WELCOME - Now with that out of the way tell us where you are and where the boat was when flooded. How much water got in the boat and how long before the water was drained out - I assume someone drained the water out - how long did the boat sit with water in it? - Any other damage? Salt or fresh water? In other words to get meaningful input here you need to tell us everythin you know.

Just from the pictures it looks like the outdrive has been in salt water a long tome - a big beware.

You could go from having a good deal to pissing away $4,500.00. I would not touch a boat that was sunk in salt water for any amount of money.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm totally new to this forum and to boating as well..... by profession I am into car rebuilding and sales..... I got the boat for $4500......

You are new to boating so how did you or who told you that $4500 is a fair price for that boat having been been flooded?

You did not mention what your sales profession you are in but if you are able to barter your sales or car rebuilding services with someone who does boat surveying, restoring, etc. that may be your best bet to get an opinion before losing any more money.

Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Looks like MD registration numbers.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds and looks like sandy to me I've seen quite a few in northeast

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are new to boating so how did you or who told you that $4500 is a fair price for that boat having been been flooded?

You did not mention what your sales profession you are in but if you are able to barter your sales or car rebuilding services with someone who does boat surveying, restoring, etc. that may be your best bet to get an opinion before losing any more money.

Mark

wowa y idk about the price on this one ???? for a sinker hmmmm hope it works out but really dont think it was a good buy !!
i guess it really does depend on what u have to do hopefully not much i wich u the best keep us posted ??and updated

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ouch. I'm not really sure what you bought there for $4500. :faint2:

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also would like to know how you justify $4500 after all that being wrong and you've never seen it in person? You are a braver man than me sir, good luck!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Hi all!
The catch is, by profession I am into car rebuilding and sales so I have access to auctions and bought this 2005 Crownline 230 bow rider that is reported to be flooded.

Keep in mind that in the car world, it is almost always worthwhile in the end to rebuild a car, especially something halfway new. In the boat world, it is easy to get well past the point of financial sense. Rebuilding will cost you far more in the end than the boat will ever be worth.

I'm pretty sure this boat is WELL into that category. New drive and engine will run you at least $6k if not more, so you are in for a bare minimum of $10k. You could find fairly nice boats for that price range. Not to mention the hundreds of hours that need to be spent installing drive/engine and rewiring the entire thing.

(lastly, you mentioned auto restoring... Keep in mind that marine engines are built to different specs than auto engines. Pretty much every part of it is marine specific, and of course more $$$ than cheap off-the-shelf chevy 350 stuff. If you mix and match, at best you will have extreme corrosion issues and a very short motor life. At worst, you blow yourself up from a non-ignition protected electrical component. (alternator in particular)

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I hate to echo everybody else here but before you put any money into it have a professional marine surveyor go over the boat for you for a few hundred bucks and give you an actual list of what needs to be repaired or replaced. Then you can price it out and see if it makes sense for you to move forward on this project.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Yes, car rebuilding is nothing like boat rebuilding. It's a Sandy boat, so plan on replacing the engine, drive, almost all wiring, harnesses, and likely much more. I suspect you will be into this boat for more than it is worth had it not been sumberged. Good Luck.

tpenfield

Staff member

$4500 may be an OK salvage price, as in good condition you would be looking at $20-25K for value.

No telling of what you are in for based on those pictures. I'm sure it will be an experience, it might even be good to some extent, but there are always surprises with boats.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Everyone is so pessimistic. I think you should reserve judgement until you have a chance to inspect it. Rebuilt marine motors are plentiful and pretty cheap. A longblock can be had for less than $3K. You will need to port the carb, mannys, starter, alternator (if they work) waterpump etc. The outdrive is sealed, so if it was good before the flooding, it should still be OK. U-joints may be bad, however, ude to the flood. Rewiring a boat is easy, much easier than a car. Most boats have floatation, so if it was sunk above the carb, it would be good to know why.

BTW - I do not think Sandy was real bad in MD, but they have lots of salty water down there, rather than fresh water, which is a drag.

The motor looks real easy to work on, which is good. Good luck and post back when you know more.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Expect to tear it apart and drop 5000 to 10,000 back into it.

agallant80

Commander

Hey if you are willing to put the time and money in to it I am sure it will be a great boat. Like most people here say get a survey done so you know what the deal is. Maybe you got lucky and the motor is fine. As for the drive like said above it is a sealed unit so you most likely won't have any issues there. I don't think it will be as bad as most people think. If it was a 2005 there was more than likely a note on it and insurance. I dobut the thing stayed under water long enough to rot anyting. I would be interested to see what you discover and which way you decide to go. Good for you buying a boat and most of us know no risk no reward. This could be a major payoff if the motor and drive are good.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Most boats have floatation, so if it was sunk above the carb, it would be good to know why.

A 23 footer isn't required to have floatation, and if it did have any, its going to be floating with the gunwale just barely above the waterline. The engine would be completely under.

tpenfield

Staff member

Many of the boat builders will put flotation into boats over 20 feet and up to 26 feet as per NMMA standards. However flotation and floating are a bit different, as mentioned.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I new just from your post that evey one on here was going to crush your hopes and dreams. Fix whats bad and use it good luck