Need help identifying correct prop for my mercury

Mike82

Seaman Apprentice
My motor is a 1998 115hp Mercury 115elpto. The prop number that's currently on it is 48-16988-18. Right now the issue I have is I'm over reving I can get over 6000 rpms with this prop and I do believe max rpm is 5250 I think. So what I gather is I should go higher pitch 19 or maybe 20. But what I need to know is what style hub, prop diameter and shaft diameter do I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated all this prop research is overwhelming.

jestor68

Commander
Re: Need help identifying correct prop for my mercury

That comes up as a Mercury Vengeance SS 13 X 18 pitch prop. That is Mercury's general purpose SS prop design.

According to your WOT rpm, you need to increase pitch. It would help to know what type of boat you have in order to recommend a style of prop as well as pitch.

Before you start changing props, verify that your tachometer is accurate and that your hub is not slipping.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What is the speed at 6000 rpm?Do you know the gear ratio?

Mike82

Seaman Apprentice

As far as the hub slipping is there any tell tale signs just by looking at it that its been slipping. Also what would be the cheapest and easiest way to confirm that my tach is accurate. Also the boat is a 1998 lund pro v 1775. The boat is pretty loaded a 8hp kicker 80lbs a minn Kota Maxxum 101 with 4 deep cycle battery, onboard charger and two live wells also believe gas tank is 36 gallon. Usually fish with one other guys as well.
As far as speed at 6000 rpm I can't say for sure. I accidentally ran it that high the first day I got the boat because I was used to running my last motor that high. When I did though I noticed a not so healthy sound coming from the motor so I backed off. Then looked at the motor plate and found out I was exceeded max rpm. But running at around 5300rpm I get about 34gps speed out of it. Just seems like I should get closer to 40 or so. As far as motor it's runs great doesn't miss a beat a wot.

jestor68

Commander

The Mercury web site has tests of 115 Optimax on various boats. Reviewing those will give you an idea of what props they used on various boats.

For example, there is a test of a Optimax 115 on a Lund 1775 that did 47.5 mph using a Laser II 13.25 X 20 pitch turning 5650 rpm.

Laser II props are available in one inch increments from 19-26 pitch.

The Quicksilver Light Speed is the equivalent of a Mercury Laser. It is available in a 13.5 X 20. It doesn't cost as much as a Laser. It is listed in the prop section.

jestor68

Commander

I found the prop you were talking about the quicksilver light speed but it says is for a mercury 115 for years 1978-83. For some reason when I enter my hp it doesn't list my motor. Here is the prop I'm looking at Quicksilver Lightspeed + Flo-Torq Hub Stainless Steel Boat Propeller #QS5120X for Mercury 115 HP Outboard 1978 - 1983 - iboats

That's the correct one. If you enter 125, you'll get the same prop. All Merc 75,90,115,125 use the same props.

Mike82

Seaman Apprentice

That looks like a really nice prop but a little on the spendy side. Is there any alternatives/brands that will perform close to that one at a cheaper price?