Will this power head fit existing leg???

betz

Recruit
We have a 1992 Force engine with S/N 0E000363 and the power head is shot. We have found a new powerhead online, but it is a 1995 s/n fitting 0E0093700 thru 0E138599. Need to confirm before we purchase and ship, as it is a long way away and has no return option....
Will this fit the existing leg from 1992 motor?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will this power head fit existing leg???

Powerheads in all series of engines ie. two cylinder 40, 50 series. Three and four cylinder 85,120, etc. series all use the same mounting pattern. HOWEVER--Merc started changing to Mercury ignition and controls. other parts may not align. For example I have mounted an early Force 50 on a late 40 leg. The throttle tower is different and I need to custom fabricate a timing tower.

perhaps someone more experienced with that particular engine will help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I think the splines on the bottom of the crankshaft are different.You need to compare driveshafts.The 92 was Force and the 95 was Mercury I think they are different.
Profile? Location?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Good call, Jerry! I forgot about Merc changing the crankshaft splines. After 94 they used merc type lower units with Merc splines.

I don't thing they could even swap crankshafts: I think this was when Merc changed to longer rods and a slightly larger crankpin diameter.