Wiring an electric choke

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
I'm replacing a quadrajet with heat sensitive choke with an edlebrock with an electric. If I add a toggle switch in line, is this a good idea? Also do I hook the hot wire up to the battery or somewhere else, like the key? I know this is a dumb question, but you'd be surprised at the dumb things I've done thinking they were ok. Thanks for the assistance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wiring an electric choke

No, just hook it up to the purple ignition wire. Then when the engine starts it's powered and start opening.
Does your choke have 1 or 2 wire connections on it? If two, one of those will be a ground.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wiring an electric choke

It's got the 2. Grounded to the choke body. It's an almost new edlebrock it had a cracked block from freezing. I bought it for the trailer and sold more than enough parts to pay for it. Mechanic went thru the carb and says it's in new condition and worth over $600, and will boost my horsepower by about 20 hp. Might be worth a try. I've never wired in an electric choke before, used the manual most and heat sensitive, with a spring etc. Never really trusted them. I guess I have to move with the times a little.