Deck plate gap sealer

bzuchero

Seaman
After I purchased my 1988 Seaswirl Sable I found out the deck was rotten under the fiberglass. I removed all rot and replaced the deck with 3/4" marine plywood so now it is removable and I have access to the furl tanl, bildge etc. I a have 1/4" or less gap between pieces of the plywood which I would like to fill with a marine sealer which can be painted and removed and reapplied after accessing the bildge area. I was looking for something similiar to what my friend has on his Grady White between the access decks. Does anyone have a sealer that you would recommend?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Deck plate gap sealer

A fiberglass boat with a removable deck... now why didn't I think of that?

Did you remove and replace your rotten stringers too, did/does your boat have floatation foam? Did you check your transom for rot?

jbcurt00

Staff member

A fiberglass boat with a removable deck... now why didn't I think of that?

Did you remove and replace your rotten stringers too, did/does your boat have floatation foam? Did you check your transom for rot?
Because the deck is generally considered a structural component of the deck/stringer/hull system. But we both know that you knew that ;)

BZ: The rest of Jig's questions are spot on & should be addressed carefully

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A Grady is designed and built entirely different than your boat. Your deck should definetly be tabbed and glassed to the sides of the hull. Lots of Sea Swirl rebuilds here on the forum, You'd do well to research ALL of them.

bzuchero

Seaman

I removed all rot. The stringers, luckily did not have any rot because the were not attached to the rotten deck. I did take core samples in the area where all the rot was and the stringers were dry under the fiberglass. The boat has foam which I removed and replaced. The transom is solid. All I want to do now, to prevent water from going in between the 1/4" gaps between the plywood, is seal with a putty or silicone. The 3/4" marine plywood has two coats of fiberglass on it and is currently painted with a marine primer.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Notice how the decking is tabbed into the hull with fiberglass and the fiberglass on the deck also ties into the hull in this detail

fiberglasseddeckdetail2_zps0b720f34.jpg

This strengthens your hull and is the structural support the others were speaking about in the above replies. Your hull will be floppy without this support and it will cause problems in the future.

It's your boat and you can build it anyway you want, but it will last longer if you do it as described above.

bzuchero

Seaman

Notice how the decking is tabbed into the hull with fiberglass and the fiberglass on the deck also ties into the hull in this detail

fiberglasseddeckdetail2_zps0b720f34.jpg

This strengthens your hull and is the structural support the others were speaking about in the above replies. Your hull will be floppy without this support and it will cause problems in the future.

It's your boat and you can build it anyway you want, but it will last longer if you do it as described above.

Thanks to all. On my way to West Marine for some glass and resin!