Vhf marine radio

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone have one on their toon?? I've been looking, but really don't know why I want one. Have CB's in the trucks, they do help me find cops and speed traps, but I doubt they are used the same way on the water. Only a couple of places on the Colorado River where I don't have a cell signal.

Soooo, what is your opinion, should I drop a few bucks and put one in???

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Vhf marine radio

Well, probably not as many speed traps on the water as on the roads, but just in case you need that extra form of communication, why not. :noidea:

I am planning on putting a vhf radio on my boat this weekend, as it never had one, since it was previously an 'inland water' boat.

bennyboy1

Cadet

I use my vhf often, it's how to communicate on the water:

if an emergency arises and you need help, or help to someone else.
monitor weather alerts.
to hail other boater friends to hook up with.
call ahead at marina restaurants and fuel docks, they'll tell you what slip to use.
when the CG or boat cops may need help looking for someone
to warn other boaters of water hazards and conditions
to find out where the PARTY is.

prices on handhelds have come way down, most are waterproof and float, and you can get gps on some models.
show your wife how to use it in case of an emergency.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i have a radio on my boat, it came with, i listen to the weather now and then, but have never heard anyone else on there. maybe i would if i went coastal

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Wouldn't be without one on my boats. Most of the boats I've owned came with one but the ones that didn't it was one of the first things added. It is good feeling to know there is help available when and if needed. A small price to pay for safety on the water. The newer ones have a nice feature that will hail help with the push of a button. Haven't needed to use this yet and hopefully never will but it is a good feature. As stated above there are many uses for a VHF other than safety. Make sure it's installed properly and remember VHF radio antennas go by line of sight. That means the higher the antenna the further the signal.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it's good to have one. I would suggest a simple handheld, you can find them on sale starting around $150. There are several talk around channels to get with other boats and friends. Best thing about a handheld is you can take anywhere you go.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Old Screwball, you might try asking around the commercial marinas around Laughlin and up on Lake Mojave to see if anybody is monitering vhf. I don't think you will find many boats with vhf, but law inforcement might. Might be more use down on Lake Havasu.

Glenn

Jeep Man

Commander

Around here the only boats with VHF radios are ones that frequent the Great Lakes. Rarely would you see pontoon boats out there. Cell phones are the most versatile.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help with the decision. As luck would have it, I was cruising E-Bay and found a new Standard Horizon Eclipse DSC GX1000s for $50.00 shipped. Was purchased and found not compatible with the boats GPS system. Got it yesterday. Ordered the antenna and fold down bracket. Wife got to the UPS guy before I did and had a minor Hissy. I started counting 1, 2, 3, when I got to 8 she asked what the hell am I counting. Told her the number of tennis shoes in her closet. She started laughing and quit bitching about the radio. Thank goodness she hasn't seen the stereo or speedometer I bought. Drives me crazy not having a matching speedo and tach.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Good deal. You have many toys the wife should be use to it :)

bennyboy1

Cadet

for the price of the radio, antenna, and mount, you probably could have gotten a handy little handheld, without drilling holes in ur console.
though, one benefit of a fix mount is the longer antenna=longer range.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I thought. Fixed mount is 25 watt with 6' antenna. Most hand held units I've seen are 1-5 watts. Going to have to cut some holes in the console anyway. The hole where the speedo goes has a cheapie round radio mounted. I bought a 100 watt (4 X 25) with an aux input, plus a SD card and UPS inputs. Kind of looking forward to the next Arizona trip so I can get to installing.

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a hand held. Mainly to monitor barge traffic (CH13) so I know when one is headed my way if I'm fishing in a narrow cut-through. Also great for communicating with other fishermen and boaters. (CH68 is the unofficial catfishermans channel here) A must have piece of safety gear if you spend a lot of time on the water.

XJ99

Seaman Apprentice

Around here a marine VHF radio would be dead air.
(coastal area would be ideal) I'm going to install
a Yaesu FT-7800 dualband. Ham radio is very active
around here. 50 watts, and a ton of repeaters works
for me.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Around here a marine VHF radio would be dead air.
(coastal area would be ideal) I'm going to install
a Yaesu FT-7800 dualband. Ham radio is very active
around here. 50 watts, and a ton of repeaters works
for me.

Hello XJ99, are you a Ham operator, whats your call?

XJ99

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, my call is KI4YXO. A number a people that live around
the area are hams, and own boats. I'll enjoy being maritime
mobile this year! :D

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, my call is KI4YXO. A number a people that live around
the area are hams, and own boats. I'll enjoy being maritime
mobile this year! :D

looked at your QRZ page, nice job on your rig with the Jeep. I'm installing a FT-450 with a Tar-hill ant on the Pontoon. maybe we can make contact via Maritime mobile this summer.

XJ99

Seaman Apprentice

I'd like to add Kennesaw, Ga to the HRD logbook!
I really like my FT-450D, it's a great rig. Also Robert,
(NC4RY) is the founder of Tarheel antenna, and lives
right here in the same town as me.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds good, let me know when you have time to schedule a contact ? are you a member of (SCARS) South Cars ? they run a net on 7.251 everyday from 8am till 1pm. When I'm in the mobile I listen and check in, using a FT-857 Yaesu in the car with a Tar Hill II. My base rig is a TS-590 Kenwood, into a Buckmaster long wire. 73