Looks like a Volvo 5.7 gi but it is really a 1988 mercruiser 260

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a new to me boat. Great price and I really love the boat. A son is selling it for his dad. It has a volvo- penta duoprop(290). He claims that it has a 1995 volvo 5.7 gi. Here is the weird part the seller has disclosed that the original engine was replaced a couple of years ago. Looking at the engine it has Volvo filters the Volvo 5.7 gi air cleaner shroud, volvo-penta manifolds it even has a Volvo alternator. I was researching the 5.7 gi and noticed it had a red dipstick handle on the port side. The boat I am looking at has a yellow dipstick on the starboard side. So I went looking for the serial number tag. Sure enough it says mercury serial number B834702. I did a little research and this block comes back as a 5.7 mercruiser 260 h.p. with fresh water cooling and was manufactured in October of 1987. I am pretty sure whoever replaced the engine for him is the one who switched blocks and just put on the accessories to mask the block. The seller has been really honest with me about to many other things to be lying. I am also getting a good enough deal on the boat that if I have to repower it I am ok with that. What I want to know is will there be any major problems stemming from putting the Volvo parts on a mercruiser engine or using a Volvo penta stern drive with a mercruiser engine? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looks like a Volvo 5.7 gi but it is really a 1988 mercruiser 260

Pictures are your best bet.

Bondo

Staff member

What I want to know is will there be any major problems stemming from putting the Volvo parts on a mercruiser engine or using a Volvo penta stern drive with a mercruiser engine?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Both the Volvo 5.7l, 'n the Mercruiser 5.7l start out life as a Chevy 350....

Then Volvo puts their accessories on their's, 'n Merc does the same...

Both are Chevy 350 Long blocks...

79Formula

Seaman Apprentice

I would say no worries.

Augie56

Seaman

If it all runs well together, doesn't leak anything, and the boat holds the water OUTSIDE the boat, then it's probably a good deal. Like was posted above, both start out life as GM 350 long blocks and would be interchangeable during a re-power.

TilliamWe

Banned

... He claims that it has a 1995 volvo 5.7 gi.... 5.7 mercruiser 260 h.p. with fresh water cooling and was manufactured in October of 1987...

In 95 that VP could have been a Vortec engine, which would be more powerful than that older non-vortec 260. The 260 is rated at the flywheel, where the hp on the 95 engine would be rated at the propshaft.

But as stated, he took a Mercruiser 350 Chevy and put it in place of the VP 350 Chevy.