NASCAR Roof cameras removed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
First week of camera changes

Seems to me after reading the article that Daytona and Dega would be the first places you wanted to remove the camera so the front car doesn't have the advantage and make them a bit more even.

To much technology out there to not get that camera off the roof and still get the same coverage.

sam60

Captain
Re: NASCAR Roof cameras removed

First week of camera changes

Seems to me after reading the article that Daytona and Dega would be the first places you wanted to remove the camera so the front car doesn't have the advantage and make them a bit more even.

To much technology out there to not get that camera off the roof and still get the same coverage.

Yes, like mounted high on the cage behind the windshield. No downforce advantage there.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The teams want less downforce at Dega and Daytona though, so I see why NASCAR didn't care. If they took off the roof camera there they'd maybe have to go to a smaller plate . . . :facepalm:

TilliamWe

Banned

Yes QC, the link clearly explained why they want the roof camera at Daytona and Talladega:

“We want the air messed up (at Daytona and Talladega),” Darby said.

sam60

Captain

I guess it depends on what source of media you recieve. On XM 90 today, the topic was the 45# of downfoce created by the camera and its' advantage to the car according to Dave Moody. But I am used to being wrong here. :cool:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

At one point Moody said there was no advantage a while back....... Swingin' with the wind.......

sasto

Captain

I really enjoyed the incar Gyro Camera they had at Daytona much better than the Roof Camera.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I like the Gyro cam too. They kept saying it was how the drivers see it, but oddly enough their heads go with the car, and the Gyro cam stays even with the horizon. Odd how that seems more realistic to me. Probably over thinking, but it has had my puzzler scrunched up . . . :facepalm:

sasto

Captain

I like the Gyro cam too. They kept saying it was how the drivers see it, but oddly enough their heads go with the car, and the Gyro cam stays even with the horizon. Odd how that seems more realistic to me. Probably over thinking, but it has had my puzzler scrunched up . . . :facepalm:

That's not overthinking, QC. Especially with the Hans Device......that head is going nowhere! Now lets put the drivers seat on a gyro. :rolleyes:

Don S

Yes QC, the link clearly explained why they want the roof camera at Daytona and Talladega:

“We want the air messed up (at Daytona and Talladega),” Darby said.

They also said this.

Likewise, he said, roof cameras can provide as much as 80-90 pounds of downforce on a car, but are much more beneficial to the race leader.

So take the camera off the cars and the lead car looses the benefit that no one else has, and maybe they will try to pass. Instead of single file.

QC

Supreme Mariner

So take the camera off the cars and the lead car looses the benefit that no one else has, and maybe they will try to pass. Instead of single file.
Bingo!!! This may be NASCAR's biggest challenge. Way better racing if the leader doesn't have such a strong advantage.

TilliamWe

Banned

Hold on a minute Don and QC. That downforce advantage was for the intermediate (1.5mi) tracks.

In the turns, the extra downforce at Daytona/Talladega would be great. But with the backstretch being SO LONG there, it would be a disadvantage. So I see their point that they want the dirty air. and the Leader doesn't have a huge advantage.

TilliamWe

Banned

I really enjoyed the incar Gyro Camera they had at Daytona much better than the Roof Camera.

Me too! First time we saw it, my son and I thought it was so cool! Great perspective on how the degree of banking looks/feels from inside the car.

QC

Supreme Mariner

In the turns, the extra downforce at Daytona/Talladega would be great.
Great for what? So they could stay in the throttle longer? Oh, wait, they never lift ;)

Don S

Hold on a minute Don and QC. That downforce advantage was for the intermediate (1.5mi) tracks.

What's the difference if it's a 1.5 mile or 2.5 mile track? The speeds are the same? The camera is giving the lead car an advantage that no one else gets.
So as equal as the cars are, it's no wonder that it's a single file boring race except for a few laps after a restart.

TilliamWe

Banned

What's the difference if it's a 1.5 mile or 2.5 mile track? The speeds are the same? The camera is giving the lead car an advantage that no one else gets.
So as equal as the cars are, it's no wonder that it's a single file boring race except for a few laps after a restart.

But they have to lift for the turns on the 1.5 mile tracks. More downforce in the turns would mean less lift, hence the advantage.

Okay QC, so you just typed exactly why the camera is not a big deal at Daytona and Talladega. Thank you. (I thought it was an obvious concept?) Combine the no need to lift int he corners with extra drag not helping on the straights and that's why they have the cameras at the 2 big tracks.