Dual batteries with switch. What kind of batteries should I get?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need new batteries for my Chevy 305 powered boat. The boat has a 1/2/All/Off battery switch and two batteries. Should I gel two starting batteries, two deep cycles, two dual purpose batteries or a mix of two different types? What size battery should I be looking for?

I was thinking about getting two dual purposes batteries and then using one battery at a time on alternating days,.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Dual batteries with switch. What kind of batteries should I get?

I was thinking about getting two dual purposes batteries and then using one battery at a time on alternating days,.

Sounds OK.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I need new batteries for my Chevy 305 powered boat. The boat has a 1/2/All/Off battery switch and two batteries. Should I gel two starting batteries, two deep cycles, two dual purpose batteries or a mix of two different types? What size battery should I be looking for?

Need more info to help you. What do you need the batteries to do? If it's just starting the boat then starting batteries are less expensive and really all you need. If you are running electronics as well such as GPS, depthfinder, VHF radio, stereo, refrigerator, microwave etc. then dual purpose would better fit the bill. Is your 305 carbed or fuel injected? If it's fuel injected you will need a specific number of cold cranking amps (CCA) to start it due to the computer module as outlined by the manufacturer.

Attachments

• Isolater Circuit.jpg
    Isolater Circuit.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a single engine Chevy 305 double barrel carbed 898 mercruiser. In a 20 foot cuddy. I'll be using on board power for some lighting (nav and minor cabin), running a GPS, fish finder, and charging a phone and tablet.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I have a single engine Chevy 305 double barrel carbed 898 mercruiser. In a 20 foot cuddy. I'll be using on board power for some lighting (nav and minor cabin), running a GPS, fish finder, and charging a phone and tablet.

A straight starting battery would probably be fine but a dual purpose would be a little heavier duty (thicker lead plates) and last longer.