Battery jumper ???

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK SO IN THE BACK COMPARTMENT OF MY 1978 BUMBLEBEE , i HAVE TWO BATTERIES ONE ON EACH SIDE. SOMEONE INSTALLED WHAT LOOKS LIKE A JUMPER WICH IS A COPPER PEICE WITH TWO POST ??? FROM WHAT I KNOW TO RUN PARRARELL OR SERIES U RUN BATTERY TO BATTERY WHY WOULD THEY HAVE ADDED THIS COPPER POST WITH TWO STUDS COMING OUT ???? IM THINKING TO ACT AS A SWITCH ??? ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS ? I HAVE IT ALL DISCONNECTED KNOW AS I DONT NEED IT HOWEVEER JUST CURIOUS AS TO WHAT THEY WERE TRYING TO DO ??

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Battery jumper ???

Welcome to IBOATS

Have to figure you have a 12v system so if those are 12v batteries, don't try and put them in series as that will double the voltage and fry some stuff.

Got a picture?

Mark

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could it be as simple as just a disconnect ? Pictures would be great :)

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 183616View attachment 183617
Could it be as simple as just a disconnect ? Pictures would be great :)

i have disconnected it from the batteries ,it had battery cable wire connected to ir ot still is and one side ran over to starboard and one side ran over to port ???? y when i tried to hook up the cable to starboard side it blew some fuses lol so i just disconnected it i will try n get pics up tomm ???

Last edited:

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes mark it is a 12v system srry !!! and y i figured that out when i tried to hook the cable to batt.. it blew a few fuses so i just disconnected it ..

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

y thanks i was thinking maybe to hook em up in parrelell but y through a homemade terminal of some sort ???its a straight copper peice about 4 inches tall and 2 inches wide with two studs coming out ????

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe its a jumper cable connection. but pictures would be great.

if the cables to the copper piece were both on the ground sides of the batteries then it was proberly used as a grounding buss

UncleWillie

Captain

We need more detals...
Your jumper posts went to which posts on which battery????
Both Positives or one Pos and one Neg?

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

We need more detals...
Your jumper posts went to which posts on which battery????
Both Positives or one Pos and one Neg?

well thats what im not sure of im going out to take some pics this morning and get em up ??? i redid a lot of the wring at the battery cuz they were all corroded etc ... i can tell by the lenghts though i think it was one full wire from pos . to pos then the neg. from one side went to post then from post to neg. of the other side ??? i will double check this morning and take pics be up soon thanks guys !!!

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the cables to the copper piece were both on the ground sides of the batteries then it was proberly used as a grounding buss

y would they put it in just for x-tra ground ...for saftey issues ???pics posted ???

Last edited:

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

jumper post.jpgjumpr post 2.jpg here are pics everyone suggested hopw it helps ???

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Could be a convenient hookup to change the batteries maybe? Either way, I personally think it is a very dangerous thing to do without any cover or protection from something laying across those terminals and shorting your batteries. I would remove that setup and rethink that option if needed... There are proper safe ways to accomplish that capability if needed and that isn't a safe way to do it... JMHO!

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could be a convenient hookup to change the batteries maybe? Either way, I personally think it is a very dangerous thing to do without any cover or protection from something laying across those terminals and shorting your batteries. I would remove that setup and rethink that option if needed... There are proper safe ways to accomplish that capability if needed and that isn't a safe way to do it... JMHO!

Thank you i totally agree as u can see I disconnected it i will pull it all out , as far as i can see i dont need it i have a batt up front also for trolling motor and 3 55w lghts for at nght ... i also keep a spare batt on board so idk but i know i dont need this just wanted some input suggestions ???? any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!!