40hp merc 2 stroke ELPTO Power trim motor brush holders?

ritewing

Cadet
A friend brought me a '96 40hp merc outboard, to try and get it running for this spring s fishing. It has been sitting for 4 or 5 years. I have the motor running , but. the leads going to the trim motor were sadly lacking in insulation. So I suggested we fix the raw wires. After pulling the top off the trim motor, while taking out the motor brushes, one of the brush holders just kinda crumbled like an old dog turd. ( sorry, but that is what it seemed like). Anyway, I thought that if I could find a place to get new brush holders for this motor, this would be the place to ask:embarassed:, cause I know I am not the only one with this problem. Any help? Thanks.
Thought I would help this guy out. Plus , he brought me a bottle of whiskey. How could I say no? And he will take me fishin'
Thanks again for any help finding these brush holders. serial # of motor is G290829

RRitt

Captain
Re: 40hp merc 2 stroke ELPTO Power trim motor brush holders?

not worth fixing. hit iboats, amazon, google, ebay, or craigslist and buy one for $100.

ritewing

Cadet

not worth fixing. hit iboats, amazon, google, ebay, or craigslist and buy one for $100.

I beg to differ RRitt. The motor is in good shape. The brushes are good. It is just the nylon brush holders that are suspect.
Neither I , or my friend has willy nilly hundred dollar bills bulging in our pockets. This motor is a '96 , I think. It probably does not have 30 hours running time on it. Thanks , but, no thanks for the advice, respectfully of course. If anyone else has a constructive idea , I would love to hear it.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Rightwing; check your PM's
Oldman570

RRitt

Captain

I beg to differ RRitt. The motor is in good shape. The brushes are good. It is just the nylon brush holders that are suspect.
Neither I , or my friend has willy nilly hundred dollar bills bulging in our pockets. This motor is a '96 , I think. It probably does not have 30 hours running time on it. Thanks , but, no thanks for the advice, respectfully of course. If anyone else has a constructive idea , I would love to hear it.

most mercury trim motor parts are so expensive that even the simplest repair is $70 in parts. if you cut corners then the end product is not even as good as the cheapest chinese motor. if you just can't afford new, then hunt down a used one for $30 or so. Trying to fix a motor that needs new brush cover and wires to save a few dollars? That works out to less than minimum wage.

ritewing

Cadet

I took the brush holder that did not break and cut some plastic of near the same thickness, and filed and fitted the four sides with post ,drilled some small holes and glued them together. I then filed and sanded the part to the same size as the unbroken one. Put the brushes back in and drilled 2 small holes in the holders , to hold back the brushes as I put the top on. Pulled out the wires holding the brushes and screwed the top back on. The trim motor works fine now. It took me about 2 hours to make the part. Figure I saved the guy a couple of hundred bucks. Looking forward to getting it on the water and yankin' some lip.