1989 50HP Force 507X9C

FlatCat_80

Cadet
Here's the deal. I just bought a 1989 Blue Fin Runabout (Bass/Ski). The guy I bought it from started it up and showed me it ran. I bought a new battery & took it out on the lake. No problems it ran great for about 10 minutes before dying!!! =( Okay so I start hearing an arching sound from the battery/gas compartment & open it to find the Negative terminal is completly melted off and I can see the acid. "Great!" Now I grab the wire & move it & disconnect the Positive. So I get a new battery start checking wire & decide to connect the battery. Then we run into another problem! We could not get it to start... Well needless to say it started getting dark & I was too tired & madto work on it so we started clean up. Then it happend!!! While my brother-in-law was grabbing tools & I was lifting the motor to put the brace on he hit the power wire & seen a spark on the inside by the motor. We looked & noticed the Postive power wires closest to the engine has metled & were making contact with the ground via the motor. So here is my questions though they may be very stupid.

Would that keep the engine from starting?
What other problems should I look for after I replace the wiring?

*Note: The only things I have done so far is install a new impeller & purchase a new battery.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 50HP Force 507X9C

Tach and stuff 001.jpgTach and stuff 002.jpg

Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help.
Yes that would stop it from starting,dead short.
Sounds like there was a loose connection and when you tried to start it it shorted and melted the cable/battery.
Get a new cable or replace with at least #4 wire.Or just cut it and replace the connectors(depending on the condition).
After the new wires: make sure all connections are tight.Even the ground.You sure it's pumping water?
Starter tight?Those 50's need a special muff(see pic)or it can overheat. Never start without water.Even for a second.

FlatCat_80

Cadet

Phoenix, Arizona is my location sorry I did not update my profile yet.

Yes we ran it with water. We used one of those hose adapters and the guy who sold me it had a blue plastic 50 gal barrel he filled with water before he started the motor.
I will have to take it to the shop as I do not know how to remove the bottom cover of the motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Why are you removing the cover?Most things can be done with out removing the covers.
Ifyour handy we can help you do most any repairs needed.
Lots of good help here.

FlatCat_80

Cadet

I will take a few pictures of the motor Monday if possible and if its not to hard to change the wires then I would be very greatful for any help. I never had to work on a motor like this just a bit nervous I guess.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Like Jerry said!

The lower cowl on that engine is the most difficult and frustrating thing to remove. It requires a complete engine tear-down and even then it is difficult. ANYTHING you need to do, on that engine can be done with the cowling in place.