Omc cobra No reverse

bryceheinz

Cadet
Drove the boat all summer with no reverse and its time to fix it now. It is hard to shift from nuetral to forward and will shift into reverse but I have nothing when in reverse. No grinding at all and no metal shavings in the oil. I took the cable off and shifted it manually and still nothing. Is this an easy fix? Im a diesel tech but i am very new to the boat world. The boat is a 87 Renken with a 2.3 and an omc cobra.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Omc cobra No reverse

Drove the boat all summer with no reverse and its time to fix it now. It is hard to shift from nuetral to forward and will shift into reverse but I have nothing when in reverse. No grinding at all and no metal shavings in the oil. I took the cable off and shifted it manually and still nothing. Is this an easy fix? Im a diesel tech but i am very new to the boat world. The boat is a 87 Renken with a 2.3 and an omc cobra.

Time to take off the drive. Search this forum for lower shift cable replacement and get the owners manual. In any order you like. Here is a OMC FSM, for what year...I have no idea...My Files its 88MB and has really helped me with my Cobra.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you say you shifted it manually, did you disconnect the control cable and shift it or did you disconnect the lower shift cable and try to shift it? In any case, it is pretty easy to take the drive off and see what is going on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are lucky if you haven't messed up your dog clutches. Running a drive like that can permanently damage them. If you run with a load and hear the drive make a bang and seem like it jumps out of gear and back in, you know they are damaged.

360ssoto

Cadet

Pain in the *** to get out drive back on. When I put my outdrive back on I put it in gear manually, then I push and rotated the propeller with my foot at the same time! Make sure you take it out of gear before you make contact with the crank shaft.

bryceheinz

Cadet

Had it out about 35 times this summer. Tubed and fished and never heard a pop or had it jump out of gear.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Pain in the *** to get out drive back on. When I put my outdrive back on I put it in gear manually, then I push and rotated the propeller with my foot at the same time! Make sure you take it out of gear before you make contact with the crank shaft.
All you have to do is stick a screwdriver into the u-joints and turn them while you are pushing it on.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take the drive off and check the bell crank.It's possibly corroded around the end and doesn't have full movement.
You should get the tools to put it back right. Or try to remember the turns and settings?? Not really recomended.
Sometimes the exhaust flapper falls into the shift mech. and won't allow proper travel.Hope for that.
That setup with the Ford motor is nice but unfortunatly only made a couple of years.
So hard parts like the manifolds aren't made or available.
If someone know of a place to get this manifold, send me a PM TY.
Profile,location?
Someone posted a link to the tools for correct cable adjusting.Maybe they'll do it again?

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great time to check the alignment as well. I got a tool on ebay for $29.

bryceheinz

Cadet

Pulled off the drive and I can shift it into forward and reverse. The cables are also moving on the boat but are very stiff and always have been.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Likely the lower shift cable. You should replace it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Pulled off the drive and I can shift it into forward and reverse. The cables are also moving on the boat but are very stiff and always have been.

You might also consider replacing the throttle and shift cables IN the boat. If your shift quadrant is worn and binding, I would even consider changing it too.

Those cables are not all that expensive and certainly cheaper than a drive rebuild.