mercury tilt motor

beachbum8200

Cadet
Hey guys my tilt motor will stick a lot and I will bump the motor and it will work is my motor going out and if so how hard is it to fix thanks

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: mercury tilt motor

Define more clearly "stick". Is the motor still running (based on noise) and it's just not pumping? Or is the motor literally stopping. If the later it's an electrical issue. If your that lucky, then something with poor contact at the solenoid or a wire connection point could be causing it. Less fortunate may mean the motor's brushes. If the motor is still turning but not pumping, it may well be an airlock which need only be bled. This is a hard call without more details.

RRitt

Captain

tapping the side of a motor to make it work is almost always a sign that the brushes have worn out. usually from rust debris. mercury trim motors aren't worth fixing. it is cheaper to throw them away and buy a new trim motor.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a walk through on servicing the trim motors in the manual seen in several threads. If a person is handy, replacing brushes on a DC motor is a relatively simple task.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

marine motors have to be spark proof so fuel vapour can not ignite.ptt/starters are sealed and any condensation inside will cause the damage.sqiurt of light oil will fix trouble most of the times.carefull,there are springs inside.

beachbum8200

Cadet

marine motors have to be spark proof so fuel vapour can not ignite.ptt/starters are sealed and any condensation inside will cause the damage.sqiurt of light oil will fix trouble most of the times.carefull,there are springs inside.
I will hit the switch on the side of the motor to tilt it up and I here a click and I will take my hammer anr tap the motor and it will work for a lil bit but I always have to tap it again

beachbum8200

Cadet

But I think iam gona change it out I've never done anything like it befour should I just bring it to a dealer or man up and do it

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very Very likely its the brushes. Check this thread for a link to a manual you can read over and see if you want to tackle it. If it's not enough information, PM me for more info.

http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-mariner-outboards/pt-t-question-592445.html

<Edit> I just looked over that link. There is another one around recent PT&T related threads with a more comprehensive section on servicing the pumps. I actually saved the pages myself for future reference.

ritewing

Cadet

Very Very likely its the brushes. Check this thread for a link to a manual you can read over and see if you want to tackle it. If it's not enough information, PM me for more info.

http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-mariner-outboards/pt-t-question-592445.html

<Edit> I just looked over that link. There is another one around recent PT&T related threads with a more comprehensive section on servicing the pumps. I actually saved the pages myself for future reference.

Hello yesterday, is there any info in those posts about aquiring and replacing brittle brush holders?

RRitt

Captain

the problem with replacing brushes is that there are usually other things wrong with a motor by the time brushes act up.

The armature is usually made of plain steel and has some degree of rust pitting. If any of the pits are in contact with a seal or bearing then the motor will not be right until the armature is welded and ground down (or replaced).
Additionally, the bearings and bearing holders are usually compromised. Mercury motors with rust love to spin their bearings. This comes across as a noisy, almost roaring, motor when spinning. It is easier to hear when the pump is disconnected since the gears act to stabilize a wobbly armature.

Just replacing the brushes and ignoring seals, armature, bearings is a low quality repair that usually has a limited lifespan.