Engine staying too cool !!!!! help please

phillnjack2

Ensign
My engine is
Evinrude 3 cylinder 60hp year 1995
model is BE60TLEOC

Ok while doing normal service stuff ive changed the thermostat and impellor plugs greased everything
checked jusy about everything possible.
The engine starts up just like it should and seems to be running fairly good and will rev instantly.

Today i started the engine and ran it in a 80 gallon water butt for around 2 hours.
The outside temp today where i live is around 42 degrees F or around 6 C.
The engine seemed to be warm but NOT realy warm enough. !!!!!!!

I have fitted a temp guage and it only got upto 60 degress C, thats 140F.
The sender is screwed into the cylinder head threaded hole at top right hand side of cylinder head.
the 2 exhaust holes at top of mid section only had the very slightest of dribbles comming but not all the time.
When i revved the engine i could get a bit more out of them but then after a couple of seconds the temp
dropped to around 53C (127 F ).
I can hold my hand on the cylinder head although its on the point of being a bit hot after 20 seconds ha ha
the exhaust at the side of block is also just very warm, not burning hot in any way.

The tell tale is very strong and warm water comes out of this, (it was perfect for hand washing with some soap).

Now with the engine idling at 1,000 rpm should i be getting lots of water from the 2 exhaust holes ?

I was getting too much water from before as the thermostat was fully open all the time and thats
why i got a new one.

The new thermostat has 143 written on the side and is a genuine BRP product.

Why would the engine not get warmer ? what am i not doing right ?

there is plenty of 2 stroke oil in the fuel as ive switched to premix a while back due to faulty vro pump.

The engine starts perfect and the quickstart is working fine and switches to normal mode after about 1 minute.

I have not found any build up of limescale or salt build up anywhere, and like i say the tell tale is very strong.

I took the cover off the thermostat housing and took the thermostat out and turned the engine over, the water
absolutly pours out like a firehose so ive got very good water pressure from the pump.

what should the engine temp be at idle ?
i thought it should show the thermostat opening and water exiting from the exhaust housing holes.

please help as im going round in circles and getting nowhere very fast ha ha

phill............

daselbee

Commander
Re: Engine staying too cool !!!!! help please

This has got to be one of the most entertaining threeads I have read in a good while.

Classic example of finding a problem where none exists.

Your engine is performing properly. 140 degrees is right, and cools when revved up. I wish mine did as well.

Ha:D

phillnjack2

Ensign

But what about the water not comming out of the 2 exhaust holes ? this is the bit that is concerning me.
ive always thought that water should come out of these when the engine is warm ?

I just didnt want to be over cooling and destroying pistons and bores.
ive read somewhere that the temp should be around 140, but why no water from the 2 top exhaust holes

or is this also right for there to be no water comming out of those ?
ive had a few problems with the engine and i think i now have it in my head that something else has just got
to be wrong with it ha ha ha

thanks for viote of confidence daslebee

phill

daselbee

Commander

Nope. A bit of mist and spray is correct.

I have an old crossflow the shoots water out (customers engine) and THAT is NOT normal.

Huge flow out both holes. Should only be a spray mixed with exhaust gasses....sputtering out....

My opinion is you are just fine. Sorry, I just thought is very funny that you had a non-existent problem...

There was another post on here lately....guy had a problem...but he had checked EVERYTHING. He listed all he checked.
Ppl asked "did he check this...did he check that..." and sure enough...he checked it, and it was good, no matter what they suggested.
My conclusion was that he must not have a problem, then.

I think you are fine.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

What color is the thermostat spring ? They changed them some years back when they improved the water pump impellers and increased the water pressure.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have a temp gauge that is reading 140 degrees and the thermostat is marked 143. So what's the problem? In the grand scheme of things this is perfect. Those two holes you are worried about are bypass ports which prevent the backpressure on the exhaust due the engine not moving through the water from affecting idle and off idle carburetion. A slight mist is again -- perfect. You have warm water out the tell tale. Again - perfect. Now go boating!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

sounds like it is running perfect, but if you want it hotter, add half as much oil the next time, or screw the idle needles in a few turns

if you are going round in circles whats the point of going fast?? same ole scenery....

but of course i am kidding

good luck finding a problem...

i am sure a few guys would love to trade places with you

bob

daselbee

Commander

Seahorse...you asking me? I don't know the color...I seem to remember purple....
But, this is a Sierra Thermo kit. I think I have too high water pressure from the Sierra WP. It is blowing the poppets off their seats, and shooting water out the relief holes...I think.
This is a 1979 140 crossflow I am talking about.
But i don't want to hijack this thread....

phillnjack2

Ensign

well im glad its given some folks a few laughs, feel a proper berk now for thinking i had problem,
also im very happy to hear this is now normal.

seahorse5 . You just might be on the right track with springs and colour (maybe).
as for the spring in the thermostat housing what one ? as there are 2 springs

There is a little black one behind the thermostat and a big one between cover and thermostat.

This is also a strange things because i have two covers to choose from, due to 2 engines same model and same year.
And 2 larger springs, both the covers look identical on the outside but on the inside there is a difference.
1 of the covers has a long silver spring and the cover that fits this has 3 small dots that the spring slips onto to hold in place.
the other cover has 4 small lugs in the middle and a yellow painted cone shaped spring.
Now the longer silver spring will not fit on the cover with the 4 lugs it only fits the 3 dot cover, the yellow painted cone shapped
larger spring can fit both covers .

You see the daft bit is i have a spare engine, and ofcourse i took the covers and springs from both engines and put them all in
the same tin while doing other work on the engine.
now i am 80% sure the cover that had the cone shape spring is the one that was on the good engine to begine with.
(ofcourse i could be totaly wrong)

Both engines are same model and same year, infact sister engines as they were both used on same boat from new
(one of them needed rebuild so thats now my spares).

Ive asked at a dealer about the different springs and covers and he looked at me like i was from mars and said there is
only 1 type, so i now know that he is no expert on omc triples !!!!

is there a difference in the spring pressure ? and what one should i be using ?
3 dot cover with silver spring or 4 lug cover with yellow cone shaped spring ?

somebody must know the difference and why ?

phill

phillnjack2

Ensign

This is the 2 different thermostat covers and the 2 different springs.
you can see they are different ..
from the outside they look identical.

2 thermostat covers and springs.jpg

phill