How to remove outboard with trim/tilt?

OCboat

Seaman
I need to remove my 1976 Merc 500 with factory power trim/tilt. I would like to know if I need to remove the hoses at the trim motor or at the cylinders, and if the motor should tilted all the way up or all the way down? Will I lose any fluid and do I need to remove any fluid prior to removal? Thanks.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to remove outboard with trim/tilt?

I can answer two of those for you. yes you will have to disconnect the hoses. If I was doing it I would do it at the cylinders, assuming your pump motor is under the splash well. You will loose fluid, but its likely 30 weight motor oil or ATF and easy to replace/bleed. Tilt position would depend on how you intend to hoist the motor I would guess, but perhaps others will chime in with suggestions.

Laddies

Banned

Easiest way is engine down, remove 4 machine screws from the transom cover plate and take the hoses off at the pump. Yes you will lose some oil so have a shallow pan for under the pump and some rags for the hoses handy.

OCboat

Seaman

Thanks for the help. Now I hope I can get the steering cable out of the tilt tube.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mmmm been there and fought that battle! Lots of good penetrating oil and effort. Worthy of note: though you can apply some pressure, pulling from the entry side, they're not very solid so I would be very careful there. Do most if not all of the work on the side where the bar comes out and does the actual steering.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If your boat steers nicely you should be able to slide the steering cable out easily. The movement of the cable for steering is the same as for removing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect at the pump. The connection point on the PTT cylinders had a tendency to strip, which ruined the PTT cylinder.

OCboat

Seaman

Thanks everyone. I disconnected the hoses at the pump and got the steering cable out without a problem.