Need help sizing trailer

MDHunter

Banned
Hey folks

New guy here, and new boat owner; just bought a 94 Sea Ray 230 DA/Sundancer.

Bottom line is that I need to get a trailer for the boat, but don?t quite know what size. There are a couple of 22 foot trailers at the local dealer, which he said ?Should work?.
Looking at the specs for the boat OAL is 23 feet and change, which I assume includes the built in swim deck, so my guess is that the actual hull length is 22 feet and change. (Boat is 2.5 hours away,,, can?t measure right now).

So will a trailer for a 22 footer work? And how much overhang at the rear is acceptable.

Thanks

Mike

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help sizing trailer

The weight of the boat plus the trailer on the tongue of the trailer should not exceed 10-15% of total weight combined.
The transom should be totaly supported by the bunks or roller system.

Don't worry about the swim platform overhanging, unless there is a towing issue where you live that says you need lights or markers if you exceed X amount past your stop/signal lights?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help sizing trailer

a good rule of thumb is to measure from the transom to the4 tip of the bow - any bow pulpit and add 10% for the overall length of the trailer

also the distance from the bow eye to transom needs to be = or less than the distance from the back of the trailer to furthest forward position of the winch stand

my cruiser is 28' tip to transom and 33.5 overall and my trailer is 30'... works perfect