1980 V-4 Cross flow - Key does not kill motor?

dicarlo

Seaman Apprentice
After my rebuild on my 1980 Evinrude 100hp Crossflow, and some issues along the way I finally put my boat in the water. Motor runs great, HOWEVER the key when turned off is not killing the engine. It cuts out about half power and then when turned back to the run position it gains "full" power. Any ideas? I have made sure best I could that everything at the motor was connected back properly as I did not have this problem before the rebuild.

Thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 V-4 Cross flow - Key does not kill motor?

I had that problem on an older dual-power pack V6 engine. Once the key was shut off, the engine sound changed, but kept idling. Turn the key back on, the engine sound changed again, and it kept idling. Problem was that one of the two packs (it was a used one) would not recognize the kill signal through the black/yellow tracer wire. It kept firing one of the two banks of plugs-it was running on 3 cyls with the key off. Replace the bad pack-that should solve your problem.

daselbee

Commander

Check the black/yellow wire that runs to each pack. I bet one of them is not connected.
The wire from each pack must run back to that terminal block on the side of the motor so each wire is effectively grounded whan the key is off. Check that thoroughly before replacing the pack, since you had it totally apart recently.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Agree with daselbee, that would be a good thing to double check.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

After my rebuild on my 1980 Evinrude 100hp Crossflow, and some issues along the way I finally put my boat in the water. Motor runs great, HOWEVER the key when turned off is not killing the engine. It cuts out about half power and then when turned back to the run position it gains "full" power. Any ideas? I have made sure best I could that everything at the motor was connected back properly as I did not have this problem before the rebuild.

Thanks!
Bad rectifier and/or bad ground.